cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 7 headphone jack: Why Apple removing it is a good thing!

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

As you know, I often glaze over and start rocking when I hear about something that Apple is "planning", however, this one made me stop and want to know more.....

What do you think......

Good idea/bad idea?

Necessity/gimmick?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-7-headphone-jack-why-...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And as for beats audio...
I suggest a set of Xiaomi pistons which urinate all over the over bass, narrow stage sounding beats.
They cost $14 btw compared to £300 Dr Pay beats
Message 11 of 19

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

OK - lets consider some elements here:

1) Bluetooth headphones are getting cheap now - £15 on  Amazon.  

2) Most new Beats headphones are bluetooth too

3) Lightning to 3.5mm jack anyone? It won't be long.

4) Using NFC to pair the headphones - selling point?

I think they have a few bits to gain and not a lot to lose out of this... especially given that they'll still be selling the iPhone 6 and 6s.  It's been a rumour for a while, so could it be impossible?  Probably not.  I can't see it harming them, to be honest.

I've had bluetooth headphones for about 8 years now... that tells you how much this market should be established by now.

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 12 of 19

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If Sony, Samsung and HTC can output 24bit 192kHz from the 3.5mm jack, so can apple, no excuses
Message 13 of 19

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

But people buy into Apple's philosophy which means they can make huge profit from Beats. Why do you think they bought them initially? They did it for this sole reason.

Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are fans getting angry about Apple removing this?

DONT BUY IT THEN.......simples!

Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Blasphemy !!!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I dislike the thought of removing freedom of choice. If that makes me sound too old for this game then so be it.

It only seems 10 minutes ago many of us were moaning about having to listen to peoples music when they were actually using headphones....now there are much better ones out there and thats fine by me. ...My lad has a pair of cracking headphones he uses with his Z3. Only he hears the music he is blasting into his eardrums ...thank god..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 19

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Special pole connector on the 3.5mm jack, Sony just added another pole point so normal headphones can be used as well as digital noise cancellation ones.
Message 18 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Blasphemy !!!

There was a big kerfuffle when Apple switched to the Lightning connector too. If you want the newest iPhone when it gets released, you'll adjust, or you'll buy an adapter. Apple does these things to generate sales. It's nothing new.

Most new Android phones are coming with USB C connections. I've already had to buy two new cables. Same thing. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 19 of 19