Did you mean: 

Your thoughts on charities :)

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

Today is International Day of Charity. It is celebrated on the 5th of September every year to commemorate the passing of Mother Theresa who worked tirelessly for those in need to tackle poverty, distress and the suffering of the poorest in the world. The main purpose of the day is to raise awareness of the importance of charities and and charity-related activities.

According to the UN, this celebration also links with the 2030 Agenda of Sustainable Development, specifically in the areas of people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership, which are the main critical categories of goals for sustainable development. Philanthropic institutions can play an essential role in these to enable all people to contribute to the betterment of our world.

Related to that topic, I wanted to start a discussion around charity work and ask if anyone here on the community supports any charities? Which types of charities do you like to support, and how do you do it (or have done in the past)? slight_smile

"It is not about how much you do, but how much love you put into what you do that counts."

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” - Mother Theresa

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I support a few @Marjo 

WWF (pay monthly)

CANCER UK (pay monthly and donations to Charity shops_

LEAGUE AGAINST CRUEL SPORTS (Donation every few months)

RNLI (Lifeboats) Usually via clothes and books to the charity shop.

PDSA (Donations to charity shops)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I support and donate to a few charities @Marjo 

- Macmillan Cancer Support [donations every couple of months; attend annual coffee morning by carers]

- RNLI [donations periodically]

- Whale & Dolphin Conservation [monthly donation to Adopt A Dolphin]

- Dogs Trust [monthly donation for adoption of two dogs at rescue centres]

- Born Free Foundation [monthly donation to Adopt An Elephant - for our little "Hope"]

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I've supported many charities over the years but I've had to really cut back these days.

There is now only the one charity I actively and financially support and that's the Chidren's charity in Thailand which takes in orphans and abandoned children from 0~14 years of age. Not only financial help either, once I'm back home we will continue to give one day a week to help look after them.

The joy on faces when someone turns up with food, pencils and writing material and some of them cling to you all the time you are there. Well, more to my wife than myself if truth be known. That's one of the things I have missed while being back here.

So....I'm busy making plans to fly out on the 31st October for an initial three months. I will book a return flight so that I can keep my options open.

I was going to go on the 1st November but I'm thinking the airports will be backed up with cancelled and delayed flights should Boris get his way!

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Cancer UK and Children in Need.
My rewards earned on her are added up and go to CIN each year.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
We sponsored dogs through Guide dogs but have recently moved to the RSPB.
We also attend a coffee and cake morning that raises money for premature babies, as well as the MacMillan coffee and cake sales.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for your comments guys, it was really interesting and nice to hear about which charities you're involved with. That's a pretty extensive list already when put together from your posts above, a lot of help and support given in total! hugging

@jonsie That's a lovely mental image of the happy children. slight_smile I hope everything goes well with your trip in October! ✈️ 

Message 7 of 10

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Always I'm in London, I see how many charityshops and in general charities are there in the uk...

It's not that common here.

I got a lottery ticket from "Aktion Mensch" (campaign human). So there is a small chance to win something, but the more important point is they care for disabled people being included.

And as I'm in voluntary fire dept aswell as working additionally voluntary at my workplace I don't donate more 🙈

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancer Research UK

Trussell Trust (food banks)

East Anglia Air Ambulance

Royal British Legion

Great Ormond Street Hospital (if it wasn't for them I'd probably not be here today)

Prostate Cancer

Special Effect (adapts/builds controllers to allow those with disabilities to access technology)

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cats Protection League

Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals

WWF - Adopt A Tiger

Marilyn's Ark for Paralysed Cats in Sri Lanka

Parkinsons Society

I donate on a regular basis to the above charities

I support the town's charity shops by giving & buying goods

It's a personal thing imhho (humble / honest)

Message 10 of 10