Did you mean: 

Your 2018 Holiday Pics

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey peeps,

After two weeks in Tunisia for my summer hols, I'm back! Looking around I didn't see one, so thought it could be fun to start a thread dedicated to sharing some of your best summer holiday photos. I'll kickstart things off with a handful of pics taken on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (with Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal).

1. Photo of the sunset over the Sahara desert
1.jpg

2. Selfie with me and my camel (GoPro mounted on the handle in the background)
2.jpg

3. Panorama from remote part of the Sahara desert where they filmed part of "The English Patient" and Star Wars
8.jpg

4. Photo of me from part of a set used for Star Wars
7.jpg

5. Panorama from the outside of El Jem colliseum, where they filmed part of Gladiator
3.jpg

6. In the Sahara, even the 4x4's sometimes struggled with the terrain. We went up and down dunes even steeper than this one
6.jpg

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Great photo's @Chris_K and welcome back Welcome

I've been to Tunisia once in 1980. It was our first major holiday abroad with the kids. Those days they tended to go for All Inclusive hotels as it was thought it wasn't safe to step outside of the hotel complex.

(It didn't stop us... we took a local bus complete with Tunisian families with their goats and sheep onboard LOL)

Back then there was a lot of begging on street corners.

However, it was great to get involved in bartering within the local souk. 

We loved it, though never went back again sadly. We stayed in Monastir. No photos to share though.

Just great memories wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 20

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Back then there was a lot of begging on street corners.

However, it was great to get involved in bartering within the local souk. 

We loved it, though never went back again sadly. We stayed in Monastir. No photos to share though.

Just great memories wink

If you went back I think it'd be like de ja vu for you. There's still a lot of begging, and still markets and traders everywhere - where no price is off the table. I've never been one for bartering but I managed to get a 3 x set of Tunisian bowls from 80 TND to 60 to 50 to 40 - was happy with that.

I'm glad I've visited Tunisia but I don't think I'd go again until/unless it changes drastically. Some of the towns and villages we visited were in a shocking state, like something out of a warzone. There's litter and plastic bags *everywhere* (even some way out in remote parts of the desert where there's no sign of life for hundreds of kilometers in any direction). It's a shame to see as it could be beautiful... With tourism returning to the country, hopefully they get the money needed to help build the place up.

Message 3 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chris_KThe difference between the hotels and what they offer, is completely different real life on the streets.

Even now it's unchanged according to a friend who went earlier this year.

In 1980 our hotel had 6 swimming pools. Beautiful gardens, Private beach (which was swept every night and had it's own security guards)

All sorts of activities for the boys...and best of all (for me) a riding stables where you could ride beautiful Arab horses through the sea and beach.

Also, within the hotel, theft was unheard of. We left our very expensive camera on the back of our chair in the dining room. When we remembered some hours later we thought it would have gone for good.

Not at all. It was found by a waiter and handed in to reception.

They told us their waiters were mainly college students. The penalty for stealing was to have your right (or left) hand chopped off!!!! Astounded

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 20

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Nearly 40 years on, that sounds remarkably similar to my experience.

Our hotel had an adults only pool, a large 'all welcome' pool beside it, and a massive kids swim park with several pools and flumes. A private beach with tonnes of beds and parasols, 24/7 security guards, armed police and national guard during the day - all felt very secure.

Staff were amazing - we got to know several of them by name and got friendly enough we could have banter and a laugh with them, playing pranks on one another. We made sure to tip them and the maids as they all helped make our holiday memorable, and what's practically nothing to us (20 TND note = ~£7-ish) means a lot to them.

Message 5 of 20

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Super pics ! The litter thing, yeah - was like that in the late 90's too, goes with the territory.

The photos brought back some memories, thank you! 👍
Message 6 of 20

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I went to Rome while I was off, and thought I'd share a few pictures from my holiday there Happy Dance These don't do the city and all it has to offer justice, I would definitely go back if I have the chance!

1. Colosseum

IMG_8038.JPG

2. Inside St. Peter's Basilica

IMG_6069.JPG

3. Piazza Navona

IMG_6254.JPG

4. View of the city 

IMG_5985.JPG

5. Roman forum

IMG_5987.JPG

Has anyone else travelled recently and has some snaps to share? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Nice to have you back @EmilieT. Hope you had a great holiday?

Lovely pictures by the way wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 20

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks, it's good to be back @Cleoriff! I had a great holiday, with some days off before and after the trip to pack/unpack and relax. Rome is gorgeous, so much to do, see, and eat sun

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 20

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glad you had a great holiday @EmilieT rainbow

If you threw some coins over your shoulder into the Trevi fountain, that will ensure that you return to Rome in the future..

Message 10 of 20