Let's see your finest!

Message 1 of 1,587
1,586 REPLIES 1,586

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need a bit of knowledge and a good eye though to preduce the photos we have seen on here. 

Message 511 of 1,587

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

You need a bit of knowledge and a good eye though to preduce the photos we have seen on here. 

As well as knowing how to get the best picture. I just point and shoot. So no pictures on here from me tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 512 of 1,587

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well the photos in your review weren't bad at all @jonsie, even if just point and shoot. Better than anything I can produce.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 513 of 1,587

Ste_A
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I agree to a point @Glory1 but I'm a self employed photographer so will be using SLR cameras for a long time yet. I don't think my customers would be happy if I used my phone to shoot their wedding 😂. I love the convenience of my phones camera but there's still a lot that my SLR will do that my phone can't, things like sport action photography especially in low light, a phone can't match an SLR's servo focusing and natural lens bokeh. Phones try to artificially produce bokeh and they are progressing but it looks bad when it misses an area that should be out of focus. Also you can't beat a full size 35mm sensor, the larger pixels make for a better image with more dynamic range, you can see the difference in the shadows and the highlights blow out too easily on phones. I think phones can and indeed have replaced compact cameras but they're not up to SLR standards. Some people buy an SLR thinking that it will automatically take a brilliant photo, more often than not it won't because a bit of knowledge is required to get good results and they will find their phone camera takes better photos due to the algorithms and built in processing. But for everyday use an SLR is cumbersome my phone isn't, so I get many more photo opportunities due to the convenience and I'm happy with the results most of the time. In a non professional capacity phones take the win!
Message 514 of 1,587

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I totally agree with your comments @Ste_A and appreciate that as a professional photographer, you couldn't turn up with your phone and photograph a wedding, for example.

I'm not a great photographer whether with a proper camera or with the camera on my phone. I totally agree with @jonsie that you need a good eye, which I fully admit I don't have. So regardless of what I use, my photos will always be so-so.

It's why you'll never see any of my photos in this section.

Though there are some fantastic photos taken with a phone camera here. I couldn't produce anything close to what some have managed to produce with a phone's camera. Not knocking SLRs but there are some fantastic photos here produced using a phone camera. That's all I'm saying. The photos here are really quite good.

Message 515 of 1,587

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We all have our own skill set. Photography has never been one of mine.

At times I have been really annoyed about that, particularly when taking photos  of family members, or my pets or garden.

Then I think I would rather enjoy brilliant photography from others, than get stressed out about my blurred efforts.

They still create memories don't they? Pictures of my parents and sister, no longer with us. Same with much loved pets. Photos of our time in Florida at the theme parks, our apartment in Spain etc etc

The list is endless.

Yes they may be rubbish quality, but the memories remain..heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 516 of 1,587

Ste_A
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

A couple more taken on the Huawei P20 Pro. Solomon's Temple in Buxton, Derbyshire.

IMG_20180411_095522.jpgIMG_20190318_153733resized.jpg

Message 517 of 1,587

Ste_A
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Never give up @Glory1. I've taken thousands of bad photos, I'm just cherry picking the best ones here 🙂

From my experience it's about lighting, exposure and composition. I'm still learning every time I use my camera, whether that be my phones camera or my SLR. Never give up and I can guarantee that some of those shots that you think don't cut it are actually better than you think.
Message 518 of 1,587

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Thank you @Ste_A.  Great photos by the way.

I don't get out and about much anymore, so little chance of me taking any decent photos.

But I do enjoy seeing the fantastic photos you guys come up with.

Message 519 of 1,587

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I agree with both @Glory1  and @Cleoriff, my eyes aren't good these days so even if I take a good photo I wouldn't really know about it. If it isn't blurred and I can see the subjects then it will do for m .

I have literally thousands of photos dating from over 50 years ago to present. Gone are the days of taking a film to the chemist's to be developed, going back in 3 days and being badly disappointed with the photos you get back. Paying for photos that are badly blurred or just plain awful. 

Thank god for mobile phones but many of my photos are in albums gathering dust in my son's attic. But it's good to get them down occasionally and look through them. It doesn't matter if they are out of focus or too dark, each have their own memory for me. 

But browsing through photos when you are widowed and seeing happier times in your life bring equal amounts of joy and sadness.

I try not to look these days and to look to the present and to the future. I find myself taking photos just for the sake of it. Photos are no fun unless you can share them with the special people in your life.

However I do enjoy looking at the photos on this thread but they will have more meaning to the photographer than to the viewer. 

Message 520 of 1,587