cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi enters UK with phones, wristband, and scooter

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must admit, with the silly money that we're expected to shell out for smartphones nowadays, this is the kind of phone that might tempt me back to Android.

I'm not too sure about the scooter though  Smiley Surprised

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46140487

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Is £500 now classed as mid-range? I guess it is compared to the top end phones now....

Here's something that will really rile you, @jonsie. The OnePlus 6T that sells for £500 in the UK sells in the US for $500!

Now that is annoying but manuacturers seem to work on a 1:1 exchange rate these days.

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

To be honest I can't worry about phones and spyware. I would never move on with my life if I went down that route.

I'm Samsung through and through. 

I am used to their layout and the way they work so I won't be changing anytime soon. Not very adventurous with new phones to be honest.

My Note 8 is perfect. wink

When my home broadband cuts off on the 17th, I’m seriously considering dropping the iPhone SE & iPad for a Note 9 or an S9+... can’t decide which

Message 12 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Is £500 now classed as mid-range? I guess it is compared to the top end phones now....

Here's something that will really rile you, @jonsie. The OnePlus 6T that sells for £500 in the UK sells in the US for $500!

Now that is annoying but manuacturers seem to work on a 1:1 exchange rate these days.

Except it isn't. At the current exchange rate the exact same phone costs the UK customer £120 more, and it's not all VAT. It's just greed.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Except it isn't. At the current exchange rate the exact same phone costs the UK customer £120 more, and it's not all VAT. It's just greed.

'Disgusted, Tonbridge Wells!'

Message 14 of 22

jonsie
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

'Disgusted, Tonbridge Wells!'

LOL

Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I can see a price war starting now with 2 very capable phones priced around the £500 mark.
Might make Apple, Huawei and Samsung rethink?

Put it this way, I can't imagine spending anything like a thousand pounds for a phone. I've always tried to stick with one operating system, but I don't think I'd be disadvantaged too much, if I used an Android phone alongside an iPad. But I'm thinking long term, as I'd hope to get at least another six months use out of my iPhone 7.

Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
I can see a price war starting now with 2 very capable phones priced around the £500 mark.

Put it this way, I can't imagine spending anything like a thousand pounds for a phone. I've always tried to stick with one operating system, but I don't think I'd be disadvantaged too much, if I used an Android phone alongside an iPad. But I'm thinking long term, as I'd hope to get at least another six months use out of my iPhone 7.

But with hit n miss Android updates.. ugh.. good old iOS! 

Message 17 of 22

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
@Anonymous of you think you'll use the spen more then note 9 will do if not then the s9+ will do if had s8 s8+ note 8 and now s9+ if also had note 2 3 4 if also had all HTC from m7 to u11 minus the HTC 10 lol
Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You change phones as often as I change socks rofl

@liggerz87 wrote:
@Anonymousof you think you'll use the spen more then note 9 will do if not then the s9+ will do if had s8 s8+ note 8 and now s9+ if also had note 2 3 4 if also had all HTC from m7 to u11 minus the HTC 10 lol

Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

But with hit n miss Android updates.. ugh.. good old iOS! 

That is indeed one of the advantages of iOS, and when you consider the older iPhones that are still getting the latest updates, that extra longevity goes some way to justifying the higher costs involved. I believe Google only guarantee security updates for three years, and that’s for their own handsets, so presumably other manufacturers are even worse off in that regard. 

I’m coming up to the two year point with my current handset, which is unusual for me, as I’ve always tended to change them every year (or thereabouts), so I probably should bear that in mind when I’m looking at alternatives. A cheaper Android could prove to be a false economy  thinking

Message 20 of 22