Did you mean: 

Would you use VR to view gigs?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone,

I'm sure I'm not the only one that once wanted to attend some concerts but couldn't because of where they were, or some other reason Don't know

A few weeks ago a new service called MelodyVR launched. It gives you access to a number of gigs and you can pay to attend whilst choosing where to view the gig from (up close, in the crowd, front row or on stage even).

For now it looks like this service is only available with the Oculus GO handset and the Samsung Gear VR, but their website hints at more platforms coming soon. It looks like a new exciting way of experiencing live music, and I for one would love to give it a go!

Would you use Virtual Reality to remotely attend a gig?

Is this something you'd be interested in using or have used already? 

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 15.32.39.png

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Well, for various reasons I can't get to venues and see concerts so if the prices aren't idiculous, I would certainly consider this way of seeing and hearing my favourites.

Message 2 of 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I'd definitely be up for this but, as @jonsie has said only if the price is right. Unfortunately, I expect it will cost too much for the average person to get a look in.

Still it's an exciting way to see a concert that tickets have sold out for seconds after they went on sale.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 11

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

It is definitely dependant on the price, although that's always a factor, in-person or through VR slight_smile Hopefully if these sort of services develop more over the next few months/years, the prices will also be more accessible for VR gear along with the wonderful options that come with it!

Have either of you @jonsie & @Glory1 tried VR at all yet? Just curious as to how you liked it smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Yes I have through a friend who gets the latest tech as soon as it's available.

Petsonally I loved it, after I got used to it. At first it felt strange but I got into it pretty quickly and to be honest didn't want to take the headset off.

I agree @Marjo once the services expand the prices will come down. I've seen that with 4K TVs which started at prices in the £ks and now are in the £400-£500 range because there are more models available.

Prices always come down as the tech becomes more universal rather than exclusive.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I would use it like a shot. I have, over the years, attended more live gigs than I care to mention.

Sadly that option isn't open to me now, so this would be a superb alternative. 

Bring it on....

Just to add, The Rolling Stones are at the Ricoh Arena this weekend. I have seen them in concert three times.

I couldn't make the concert this weekend, though unless there is a weather change I am quite pleased about that flashflash

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I've never been to a live gig I do like my music and would give it a go but I think those on poor quality connections such as ADSL over long lines will probably be disappointed as it'll no doubt drop the audio codec quality and video quality to try and deliver stability.

As has already been mentioned, it depends on the equipment cost and the cost of the equipmeent required as a host (for example the Occulus Rift PC version can require quite a beefy graphics card and Gear VR only works with some of the higher end mobiles)

Gap in the market to develop a rentable version perhaps so that the padding can be replaced after each user.

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Gap in the market to develop a rentable version perhaps so that the padding can be replaced after each user.

That's a great idea @Anonymous. A great opportunity for someone. Are you up for it? wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a great idea @Anonymous. A great opportunity for someone. Are you up for it? wink

@Cleoriff

I imagine someone at Occulus or Samsung is probably doing it right now and I don't have the cash to legally take them on.

Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I have used VR a few times but not in the UK. My experiences involved a little alcohol and were confined to walking along a swaying rope bridge and flying helicopters Dance Loved it to be honest and concerts or gigs would be a brilliant step up.

Message 10 of 11