cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you need a mobile phone walking lane?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Happy Friday everyone!

Do you often walk along the street while checking your phone? Ever bump into someone/something while doing that? I've walked into a lamp post once myself... flushed

In a city in China, they have installed a separate mobile phone walking lane for these people, so they can safely walk along with their mobiles without the fear of bumping into anyone or walking into traffic. The lane is indicated with a mobile phone sign similarly to how you display a cycle lane etc.

What do you think, would this be useful in the UK too?

You can read more info on this in an article here!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarjoI do like to move with the times, however I can't think of anything worse.

A walking lane for mobile phone users ?? Pfffttttt.

WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING is a good motto for all I think head_bandage

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MarjoI do like to move with the times, however I can't think of anything worse.

A walking lane for mobile phone users ?? Pfffttttt.

WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING is a good motto for all I think head_bandage

I saw that pfffftt coming @Cleoriff! grin

That's good advice, I should have heeded it when I walked into that lamp post. I do find it a bit annoying when, especially in busy areas like near/at the big train stations I need to walk fast to catch my train, and there are people wandering around with their mobiles, not looking. hushed

Message 3 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Seriously, I love my phone I really, really do. But there is a limit. There is nothing that important or that urgent that I need to check my phone while I'm walking!

Just keeping my balance is more than enough when I'm out and about.

If you really must check your phone then, please, do it while sitting down somewhere. Why should I have to watch out for these idiots.

And a lane just for them, whatever next 🙄
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Totally absurd idea!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

This is a pet hate of mine rage

I am sick and tired of having to sidestep mindless people who are walking and looking at their phone and would bump into me if i didnt move grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If my phone rings or i get a text and its not raining i will look and answer but i dont spend my time walking with phone in hand looking at it.

If its raining phone stays in my pocket i dont want it getting wet and folk can wait til i get indoors to answer slight_smile

Message 6 of 12

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Forgot to say a walking lane for mobile users no way. 

Saying that wouldnt they still bump into each other because they wouldnt see each other lol. 

Folk walk different speeds 

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Crazy idea. That’s ludicrously stupid & dangerous 

Message 8 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I believe that Darwin's ideals will sort out most that don't pay attention.
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen the Chinese stood in the middle of a road with iPad aloft taking pictures and totally oblivious to traffic. So this didn't surprise me when I first heard of this some months ago.

What makes the Chinese government think that this will work? It just means also that thousands of people will take the exact same photo from this camera lane. Stupid....and this country are the second (debateable) major power in the world.....?

Message 10 of 12