Did you mean: 

World Wildlife Day 🐋

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Today is World Wildlife Day! And one of our favourite ways to celebrate the spectacular world outside our doorstep is through nature photography competitions such as ‘Wildlife Photographer of the Year’. After visiting the exhibition around 1 1/2 years ago at the Natural History Museum, I have found a new appreciation not only for our wildlife but also for the photographer who invest weeks, months and even years into bringing it closer to us. My forever favourite however has to be the “station squabble” between two mice on the London Underground. yahoo

Of course, we wouldn’t want you to miss any of these which is why we have collected a few of this year’s favourites of the competition below, together with this year’s winning photography by Robert Irwin, depicting the disastrous effect of the Australian wild fires early last year. You can find more images over on the website of the Natural History Museum

Do you like to take your camera with you when you are outside and have taken photos of nature and/or animals in their natural surroundings? Then share them with us! We can’t wait to see how the wildlife on your doorstep looks like smiling

coexistance.jpg

bushfire.jpg

the-last-goodbye.jpg.thumb.1160.1160.jpg

turtle-time-machine.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TheresaV 

I find the 3rd picture of the Rhino incredibly sad cry

Is that the death of Sana the white rhino who was the oldest in captivity age 55?

Also the tragedy of the Australian bush fires and the loss of wildlife will never be forgotten. It will take years to recover.

I have no photos to share of wildlife. We get a few birds and bees in our garden but as we are surrounded by fencing, I never get to see a fox in the garden at night.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TheresaV 

Lovely thought to create a thread for World Wildlife Day.

As @Cleoriff said, the third photo of the rhino is incredibly sad cry and reminds us of how endangered these animals are.

I unfortunately do not have a camera so cannot share any photos of wildlife which comes into my garden.

I am lucky that occasionally an urban vixen comes across the gardens at the front of the houses in the quiet road in which I live, and also see hedgehogs, magpies, wood pigeons, the odd jay, and sometimes even a heron on a rooftop having flown from a nearby park/woodland.  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 8

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Mi-Amigo @Cleoriff. You're right, it was the last white rhino with his carer. It is very sad indeed but I also think these kind of images are such an important reminder on the effects we as humans have on the planet. Which is also why I think the image of the bushfires is so powerful!

I love foxes! However, I do not appreciate them screaming at two in the morning running through the neighbourhood joy And that's with me living in busy London! However, I do love birds too, I feel like they are the first to let you know spring is coming smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
No camera unfortunately and i'm usually going far too fast on my bike to catch any decent shots of anything. All good pictures above.
The wildfire is my most / least favourite, a stark reminder of our own selfishness. (also looks like one of those before and after swipe pictures)
Message 5 of 8

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
No camera unfortunately and i'm usually going far too fast on my bike to catch any decent shots of anything. All good pictures above.
The wildfire is my most / least favourite, a stark reminder of our own selfishness. (also looks like one of those before and after swipe pictures)

Well, at least you have a nice view @Anonymous wink

That is very true, I haven't noticed that before! But that makes it even more impactful doesn't it!

signature

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TheresaV 

I've just checked the photo gallery and realise the rhino was Sudan not Sana.

So poignant.

I also liked this one of the lynx. Apparently 34 lynx were killed on Spanish roads last year, so they are building underground tunnels to keep them away from traffic.

A photograph of a lynx emerging from a tunnel which has been built beneath a busy highway

The two photos I found distressing were the Zebra head and the image of the circus bears in Russia who are forced to perform every night. Sickening.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@TheresaV 

I've just checked the photo gallery and realise the rhino was Sudan not Sana.

So poignant.

I also liked this one of the lynx. Apparently 34 lynx were killed on Spanish roads last year, so they are building underground tunnels to keep them away from traffic.

A photograph of a lynx emerging from a tunnel which has been built beneath a busy highway

The two photos I found distressing were the Zebra head and the image of the circus bears in Russia who are forced to perform every night. Sickening.

Oh sorry @Cleoriff I got that wrong! 

I liked the one from the lynx too, it's beautiful to see that a lot of people actually do care. 

Agreed, they are very disturbing. A horrible truth unfortunately... 

signature

Message 8 of 8