Did you mean: 

World Space Week 2018!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Yesterday kicked off 2018's World Space Week! Space Week is an international celebration of science and technology with a focus on space exploitation. 

"Since its United Nations declaration in 1999, World Space Week has grown into the largest public space event on Earth. More than 3,700 events in 80 countries celebrated the benefits of space and excitement about space exploration in 2017.  The 2018 theme is “Space Unites The World”

There will be thousands of event's happening across the globe over the next few days and you can find details over on the World Space Week webside

There also have been some fantastic Astronomy announcements recently that tie in nicely with Space Week. 

Firstly, astronomers think they have discovered the first ever exomoon, which is a moon that orbits a planet outside our Solar System! 

The moon is huge compared to anything we've seen before, it's the size of Neptune and orbits a planet similar in size to Jupiter but 5 times as massive. The moon was first detected by Nasa's Kepler spacecraft then further observed by the Hubble telescope. Further study is needed to confirm the initial results but if proven correct this is a massive discovery! 

_103645834_mediaitem103645833.jpg

Next up and a lot closer to home where Japan's Hayabusa 2 rovers have sent images of the Ryugu asteroid. The rovers arrived mid September following a 3 year trip and have begun to return images and test the asteroids surface temperature. The rovers don't have wheels and instead hop around the moon by spinning a weight contained inside the probe which then generates movement. The images returned so far are amazing as shown below! 

_103600101_mediaitem103600100.jpg

Is anyone aware of any space Week events happening in your area and of so are you planning to attend? 

What do you think of the exomoon discovery or the first images from the Ryugu asteroid? Let us know! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Off topic but on topic..

did you see Space X launch from Vandenberg? 

The cloud cover made for some lovely pics as stage 1 came back to earth!

Message 21 of 40

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@pgn It seems a bit of a waste if everyone is asleep for the trip but I've not seen the movie so I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for the size!  

It seems massive ships are a bit more realistic for interstellar journeys. 

@Anonymous I did. Amazing achievement and looked great too! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 22 of 40

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35915 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

@Anonymous I saw some of the pictures of the pretty lightshows in the heavens, but did not watch the actual launch for Musk's latest.

@Martin-O2 The reason for sleep in Passengers is the journey time as the ship accelerated to near-light speed was 120years... 5000 people in a ship about 0.6miles long.

Interesting comparisons between some of SF's famous spaceships here - seems Nostromo was much smaller!

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-starrer-passengers-movie-has-cool-spaceship-these-5-are-way-more-awesome-710053

Here's the opening intro to Passengers, to get you in the mood: Wave

Message 23 of 40

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Ahh yes I think it was the mining/refinery section of the Nostromo was longer. The crew area was much smaller. 

Intro looks good @pgn I'll definitely have to add this to my watch list. 

signature

Message 24 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
More info
More info
Isn’t this the film where the water pops out of the pool? I’ve seen a trailer repeatedly a while back with that bit in it..

And today we have THIS space story.. could’ve been a disaster

Message 25 of 40

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122898 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
More info
More info
Isn’t this the film where the water pops out of the pool? I’ve seen a trailer repeatedly a while back with that bit in it..

And today we have THIS space story.. could’ve been a disaster

@AnonymousI can't open that link. It states 'invalid parameters'?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 40

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Wow they were really lucky! Fantastic to see the safety systems kick in and do their job. 

signature

Message 29 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122898 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45831110

Ah yes I saw it on the news. Was a bit shocked when I saw all that juddering start inside the capsule.

Thank god it ended well.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 40