cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Mental Health Day

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a sufferer of poor mental health for over 25 years ... I don't 'celebrate' today ... = ... 'the razamataz' is far too overwhelming for me ... & ... I stay at home purposefully slight_frown

I understand & applaud the raising of awareness of mental health issues ... & ... very sad to say the statistics of 25 years ago are the same today ... = ... 1 in 4 people will suffer from a mental health related illness at sometime in their lives

Poor mental health runs in my family so we do understand

The Young Royals are supporting a mental health initiative called 'Heads Together'

Image result for mental health images

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Everyone should be aware of mental health every day not just one day a year. Some of us have to live with mental health issues each and every day of our lives.

People who need reminding could probably care less anyway. 

Message 2 of 6

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Agree! clap For some reason, people don't realize how important mental health is 

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 3 of 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Nor do they realise that no one is immune. Mental health issues can effect you at any time of your life and have a devastating effect on you, your family and friends.

I am particularly thinking of Alzheimers and Dementia. I know they primarily affect the elderly but there are many cases referred to as early onset which can strike people in their 40s and 50s.

As @jonsie says we should all be aware of mental health every day not one day a year.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

At least the stigma attached to mental health issues is diminishing somewhat. This is due to immense publicity about the subject. 30 years ago no-one thought depression was part of mental health.

The reality of it is that one in four adults will experience a mental illness at some point each year in the UK. Something we never hear is that we only expect to help 15 per cent of them.

That is not totally due to lack of funding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/world-mental-health-day-wellbeing-modern...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the young children & teenagers who can & do suffer with poor mental health which is so very very sad to put it mildly

Poor mental health can & does cause poor physical health

I have read the article you posted @Cleoriff with interest ... my brief experince of IAPT was all on paper on a scale of 1 to 10 & a tickbox thing = did nowt for me slight_frown

Now what I write following may seem inapropriate but it is relevant ... ... ... I'm not that good atm & have been trying to help myself ... they say crying can be therapeutic & I've been bawling my eyes out lately ... then picked up a part-read fiction book about a cat = cried some more ... but ... I know I'll probably sleep tonight ... You use all the tools in your toolbox sometimes

Fair do's to all who suffer with poor mental health & their loved ones 

I apologise if I've spoken out of turn

Message 6 of 6