Did you mean: 

World Health Day - Health app discussion

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone! 

Today is the World Health Organisation's annual World Health Day and I thought I'd use the opportunity to have a chat about health apps and how Community members use them to stay in shape. smiling

Personally, I like to try to stay fit (although its hard to stay motivated during the winter months!) and I'm currently using 4 apps to help with that goal. 

Firstly I've been using the Samsung Health app to monitor my daily steps, heart rate when I want to check it and it also automatically logs periods of activity such as walks or runs. Another cool feature is that you can compare with friends who also have the app and set challenges which keeps things interesting. 

I'm not currently a member of a gym so do a lot of workouts at home and I've found the HIIT Interval Timer a great way to time my sets and workouts. 

I've also recently downloaded Home Workout which I've not had the chance to try yet but it provides body weight exercise video tutorials for beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts you can do at home with little or no equipment. 

So, are you guys currently using any health apps or wearables to help you keep fit and if so how are you finding them to use? 

bless-you-726885_960_720.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
There are two apps that I use regularly, but there are others on the phone that I should use...
As I have a Mi Band I also have the Mi Fit app. It is an activity tracker that measure steps/sleep/HR and you can track activity in the app.
I also use Strava to see how far/fast I cycle (when I go out, which is not as often as I should).
Also on the phone is the LG Health app which would do the above, plus I have a HIIT app (7M Workout) which sounds like the same as the Home Workout you mention @Martin-O2.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The only app I use is Samsung Health app, managed 84 steps yestr day. ...

Message 3 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

How do you find Strava @gmarkj? A few of my friends have it and say its pretty good but I've not gotten around to downloading it yet.

@jonsie Not bad all things considered! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 8

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I've used a heart-rate monitor app that displays the curve of your heartbeat by recording it via the phone's camera.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I borrowed a mates Tom Tom health watch for a few months and had to download the accompanying app. TBF the HRM wasn’t up to much but the GPS seemed pretty accurate.

I used to use Strava but it ended up causing no end of problems.

There were arguments about people using e-bikes, people using several pieces of tech to record the same ride.

A couple I got caught up in...

1, being a roadie and topping the MTB club leaderboard because I was out on the road 6 days a week and only MTBing on the 7th.. 

2, not having a car.. I use my hybrid to go everywhere.. shops, gym, doctors, hospital, friends and everywhere else.. but this doesn’t count as cycling apparently!!!

3, I was trying to top the leaderboards each week/month which led to injury

Strava is a great app but clubs can be so petty it wasn’t worth the hassle!

But do try it.. it’s fab to see the seemingly small journeys turn into thousands of miles a year! BEWARE.. It’s addictive!

Message 6 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It is really easy to use @Martin-O2, and gives good feedback about the ride(s) you log on it.
You get a nice map showing the route you took, and it splits that down into segments.
The really nice thing is that if you do the same route several times you can compare different how did last time against the most recent one.
I am not in any cycling clubs so I am only competing against myself!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Those cycling groups sound super intense @Anonymous! 

@gmarkj Its a decent little app by all accounts then. I'll give it a download and let you know what I think of it. 

signature

Message 8 of 8