Did you mean: 

World Bee Day 2020 🐝

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey everyone,

hope you all doing well. As per last year we are celebrating the United Nations Bee Day again.

The UN designated 20 May as the day to raise awareness of the importance of these little pollinators, the threats they face and their contribution to sustainable development.

So the good news first: Our little brown and yellow friends are making a big comeback. The World’s Bee Population Is recovering During COVID-19 Lockdown. As the BBC reports: Fewer fumes and pollution particles from cars mean that bees can more easily smell floral scents that lead them to plants that need pollinating. And fewer cars on the roads also mean less drive by bee deaths.

And as many people think of bees as vicious stinging insects, let me show you how cute they actually are!!! I want to bless you all with a collection of super cute bee bums. You are welcome! 🌸 🐝

bee-bums.jpg

But we are far from ideal conditions. An estimated 80% of flowering plants and one-third of the world's food is pollinated by bees. So what can everyone of us do to help those honey-making rascals?

• planting a diverse set of native plants, which flower at different times of the year;
  • buying raw honey from local farmers;
  • buying products from sustainable agricultural practices;
  • avoiding pesticides, fungicides or herbicides in our gardens;
  • protecting wild bee colonies when possible;
  • sponsoring a hive;
  • making a bee water fountain by leaving a water bowl outside;
  • helping sustaining forest ecosystems

Our resident bee expert @TallTrees ( and proud owner of exactly 764 bees) could tell you even more about our flying pals. Let’s all help to make these cute little butts flourish! I am raising a glass of nectar - cheers! 🍹

If you want to read more about World Bee Day you can do so here.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
one of the little blighters comes near me and I’m off.. I’m lots better than I was, but I still try to run a marathon in under five minutes when I get that buzz in my ear..

But I have to thank @TallTrees for opening my eyes to the different types & overall usefulness of the species!

Happy bee day Bees!
Message 2 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It's interesting about Covid 19 being responsible for the return of these lovely creatures @LukasB 

I mentioned on another thread that the lack of pollutants and PEOPLE are seeing the return of much of our wildlife.

Slightly off topic, if you ever watched the programme Chernobyl and see it now (35 years on), the exclusion zone has developed its own eco system. Forests, wild animals and insects. A thing of beauty out of such a terrible tragedy.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 33

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous but look how cute their butts are???? joy

@Cleoriff I actually watch those all the time haha - I love them

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 33

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the thread and interesting info @LukasB 

I love and respect all wildlife, and am grateful to @TallTrees for educating me about bees, who I`m sure will love hearing about World Bee Day and no doubt impart some more fascinating facts about them. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 33

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @LukasB 

Wow United Nations Bee Day ~

Thank you LukasB I have just popped out to tell 764 Red Mason Bees ~ 

So Happy.

The bees I keep do not sting  ~ too interested in getting out there to pollinate fruit trees in the main.

The Red Mason bee has no sting. 

They have put in the next Spring Bees and all gone for a holiday leaving their off-spring to develop.

Normally bees do not want to sting anything unless they are threatened.

My theory about the honey bee is that they have had to put up with

humans farming them and stealing their honey so they are not usually too happy.

We have lots about the garden here there everywhere. The Honey Bee is different to the Big Bumble bee who is quite content to

go from flower to flower and keep out of your way. Just keep out of their way 

I don't think bees follow you like the Wasps ~ Wasps are a very different creature still needed though.

HAPPY BEE DAY 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 33

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Thank you for your kind words @Anonymous 

So pleased to have introduced a different view of these absolutely fascinating creatures.

During Summer I absolutely love the sound of the bees buzzing, makes summer special.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 33

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Great to hear good news and thanks @Cleoriff 

for those facts about Chernobyl.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 33

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi there @Mi-Amigo 

I know you love animals of all kinds and so pleased to have helped you look at bees

in a different and happy way.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

During Summer I absolutely love the sound of the bees buzzing, makes summer special.

Totally agree with that @TallTrees . The droning of bees on a warm summer day is a lovely sound

I also love the sound of birdsong, first thing in the morning before people are up and doing.

Add that to the sound of my water feature trickling and life is good.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 33