Did you mean: 

Word Play

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Who doesn't like a cunning linguist?

The late Ronnie Barker was very good at it. Not sure how well such tongue-in-cheek tomfoolery would have gone down today, but in its time, it was bound to keep you glued to the box:

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 19

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Both Ronnies were brilliant and sadly missed. Some of the 'modern' comedians leave me cold, particularly those that think using foul language is funny.

But, I agree @pgn Ronnie Barker was superb and, personally, I still find his humour hilarious.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I could watch these two over and over again.

I have to say my favourite comedian now without doubt is Peter Kay.

He is one of a kind and can do a three hour performance without using foul language.

A funny funny man...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 19

pgn
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

... doubt is Peter Kay.

He is one of a kind and can do a three hour performance without using foul language.

A funny funny man...

I find crude and vulgar language off-putting in comedy too. Never really watched Peter Kay, but I do like Bill Bailey:

Message 5 of 19

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The last Peter Kay car share was quite possibly the funniest programme I have seen in many years, it had everything, including a little appropriate bad language. Everyday language that we ALL use and as soon as he is back on our screens the better. A bit biased as he lived round the corner from me and I know his gran 😃

Message 6 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I could watch repeats of Peter Kay tours over and over again....and often do if I want a good laugh.

Phoenix Nights took  me a bit of time to get into even though my husband loved it from the start. Now I enjoy it.

I just hope whatever it was that caused him to cancel this years tour is resolved (for want of a better word) as it's about time he returned to make us laugh again.

@jonsiewas that his Nan who was always in the audience during his first gigs? The one who had the bungalow? joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 19

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's right @Cleoriff, just round the corner from me and we often had a little chat in the local  Morrisons 😊

Message 8 of 19

pgn
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

So for someone who has never followed Peter Kay, where should I start, @jonsie or @Cleoriff? And no, I did not like the one episode of Car Share I saw, the last of the series that just ended - not me, sorry.

Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

So for someone who has never followed Peter Kay, where should I start, @jonsie or @Cleoriff? And no, I did not like the one episode of Car Share I saw, the last of the series that just ended - not me, sorry.

Oh where to start?

Here's a list of DVD's available from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=peter+kay+dvd&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_3mhax...

Your best bet though is to look at some of his work on YouTube.

He is best described as an observational comic. So so funny...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19