Did you mean: 

Word Hunt Diamond game - Important Notice

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To all our wordsmiths inc

@Cleoriff @pgn @Anonymous @BobM @Bambino @gmarkj @TallTrees @lewys-gp @RafaC @Projectionist 

@MI5 @jonsie @Martin-O2 

- and anyone else who has taken part in or watched Word Hunt Diamond games.

As you are probably more than aware, there has been a problem in recent WHD games - with me missing words posted, which could affect the game, particularly towards the end when there are few words in the list to find.

One of the difficulties, due to the format of the forum, is words may be posted whilst I am replying to posts, so posts "leap frog" or are out of synch.

As a way to help me, and hopefully avoid at least some of the problems, may I please ask each wordsmith who takes part in tomorrow`s [Tuesday`s] Word Hunt Diamnd game and any future game...

Please refresh the page after each and every post you make...

as this should help keep posts in synch and help me avoid missing your post.

Thank you for your help in this and hopefully WHD will be as much fun as its always been  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Certainly and not a problem @Mi-Amigo.

I'm sure it will help.

When I ran the One Sentence story last week, I had a similar problem. As soon a sentence was posted I copied it to One Note (in order to help me write the story in full at the end)

However, when I came to write it, I found I had copied some sentences which actually had 1 or two more sentences posted (before the one I copied) I checked each time of posting at the end and on two occasions I had copied the sentences out of sync.

This is all to do with the stupid forum and the way we have to refresh our posts to avoid seeing them as unread.

It really is a nightmare.

We know 'eventually' any post will drop into the right place. However if you are checking a fast running game then single words can quite easily be missed due to them being posted and being out of sync AT THAT TIME.

So it's refresh, refresh, refresh from now on. 😂

Ridiculous really that this has been a non fixed forum issue since August!! 😡

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Understood @Mi-Amigo 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mi-Amigo will do, but the refresh of the page only effects the view for the original poster of that message - All others will only ever see the post from another person in it's proper order or not at all.

So you won't see other posters posts out of sync, only your own (Sometimes) until refreshed.  

Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I expect @Mi-Amigo  will be refreshing his own pages frequently.

It's something to try to avoid missing words. It rarely happened before this forum change.

As it happened to me on Thursday with the OSS, then anything is better than the nightmare @Mi-Amigo experienced last Tuesday when words were being posted more rapidly than ever before. x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also just to add: The pages are not live, so no matter how often you refresh the page somebody else could always be adding another post at the same time as a refresh is done, so you will always get duplicate answers.

But when you look back at a previous page then it will always be correct and in order (Unless edited) 

Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Also just to add: The pages are not live, so no matter how often you refresh the page somebody else could always be adding another post at the same time as a refresh is done, so you will always get duplicate answers.

But when you look back at a previous page then it will always be correct and in order (Unless edited) 

😂Yes but when people are constantly asking for updates Mark, @Mi-Amigo is poring over books to check words NOT on the list, so he has no time really to be waiting for pages to drop into the correct position.

As said, this is happening a lot of the time since the new forum layout and rarely happened before then.

Anything is worth a try if it makes things easier for the quizmaster.

I've taken on the WRQ twice so @Mi-Amigo can take part. You couldn't pay me to take the WHD on...🤣

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff Oh I know, I'm not being critical.  @Mi-Amigo  does a great job 👍

Message 8 of 16

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff @TallTrees @Anonymous 

Having run all WHD games since its inception, it was not until the New Look was forced on us that the current issues arose. Many of the wordsmiths will well remember that WHD had to be cancelled because of the new format. It was only through the complaints by the regular WHD wordsmiths to the Community admin, which were passed on to the platform provider, and the support and request of these wordsmiths that WHD was able to return.

However, the problem with page refreshing is also a contributory factor to the issue in respect of "unread posts", which has not been addressed and nor will it until the platform provider can be bothered to even look at it when an update of the Community is considered at some unspecified date in the future.

To try and overcome some of the problems I have had with running WHD, I do refresh my own posts, and am more than aware that posts might still be posted whilst replying or editing my own posts.

This post - asking everyone to please refresh after their post - is merely my request to try something which might relieve some of the stress and nightmare I have had in the past.

As I`ve said before, I love WHD and I want is for WHD to be fun for everyone, with the minimum of problems and disruption.

Thank you.     

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mi-Amigo I will do anything to help, but my point is that people refreshing their own page does not change the order in what another person sees them in.

I think lately the game has been played (At times) very fast, especially in the early parts of the session.

This would seem to be more a factor imo. Maybe a little bit more steady-eddy would help all-round.

Also maybe players should check that their own word has been added to the list, I always do.  

Message 10 of 16