Did you mean: 

Women in sports & women's world cup

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys,

Came across this article around brands sponsoring and supporting women in sports and how this is getting more and more popular recently, especially with rugby, football and netball. It talks about various big companies being involved and their reasons for doing so, and what role women's sports plays in driving important long-term changes.

Thought it might be interesting reading for you sports fans, and in general too - if any of you want to read it I'd love to hear your views on the subject. thumbsup

The article also mentions O2 due to our Rugby sponsorship! If you scroll down the article you can read what O2's role is within England women's rugby.

It's good timing also now as obviously the women's world cup is taking place at the moment until 7th July --> you're tuning in at least @Mi-Amigo, based on the weekend discussion earlier? Anyone else watching? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
You know why O2 would want to sponsor the English woman rugby is because O2 sponsor the men team
Message 2 of 29

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10654 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Double trouble😁 @liggerz87

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Re The Womens World Cup @Marjo , it was extremely interesting to hear, this has provided the BBC with the highest viewing figures this year for ANY programme. Apparently the match between the USA and England had over 12 million viewers.

Interesting to note that the article relates only to football and rugby and associated sponsorship.

It's a real pity that my favourite sport, F1, treats women very differently to men. Yes we do have a special race series for women and it's called the W series!!. However, it's nothing like the main sport where women drive for 30 minutes and mens races last for 2 hrs.

If we want to see women competing against men in F1 then there needs to be a a societal change. There is no rule which states women can't race against the men, it's simply a question of probability starting at the bottom in Karting.

For instance if a group of 300 kids start karting, the chances are, only one of those will be a girl. As there are only 24 seats to be had at the pinnacle of F1 then you can see why a female would find it difficult to get into the sport. The sport will sponsor only the best and without a sponsorship deal, (or a lot of money from parents to buy a seat), then females won't be seen in F1 for a long time.

Having had my say about that, it was great to see how well the Lionesses performed this year. Better then their male counterparts, who promise so much and deliver so little when it matters!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 29

TallTrees
  • 10654 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
@Cleoriff 👍

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Very disappointed today with the ladies. They should have comfortably beaten the Swedes but I don't think their hearts were in it after the semi final with the USA. They needed to be more ruthless.

Message 6 of 29

TallTrees
  • 10654 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
New Manager? @jonsie

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 29

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Not at this stage. Once the Premier League take over from the FA next season I think we'll see a marked improvement in the standard but they do need to have a nucleus of English players so perhaps limit to the number of foreign players at club level.

Message 8 of 29

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Very disappointed today with the ladies. They should have comfortably beaten the Swedes but I don't think their hearts were in it after the semi final with the USA. They needed to be more ruthless.

Totally agree @jonsie 

Ellen was gutted with her goal being disallowed, the other ladies tried but played nowhere near as well as they did during the rest of the tournament. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The USA have beaten the Netherlands 2-0 to win the World Cup for the 4th time. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 29