Did you mean: 

Windows 8, has it got what we expected?

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Much awaited? (maybe!) the new operating system 8 from Microsoft has been showcased today to the world. They seem to have brought everything what we do at one place. It highlights the changing user environment and gives superior control to users by self-customising things like apps, email, games, music, search engines, etc. What's more interesting? IE 10, yes... it has a touch of future usability.

"The new system includes a Metro interface designed for touch gesture control"

Almost 90% of worldwide users rely on windows. With this new OS 8 launch, do you think it has everything what a user expects? I’d love to hear some thoughts!

More: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/release-preview

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't used Windows on a regular basis in the last five years. 

Message 2 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Probably closer to a phone interface than an actual PC anymore. The upshot of it or indeed the objective will to put everybody's personal information in one place. Some might use a tablet device instead if Windows becomes a PDA OS only.

If that does happen, I think I will be looking at Mac or Linux again. Then again, there's still plenty life in this old dog yet.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Sorry if I sound cynical about Windows.....

I prefer Linux although sometimes you just want to get the job done without hassle.
Message 4 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I had a watch of the video and whilst it's impressive, it doesn't demonstrate it will bring to me other than tightly-contained social networking abilities across any Windows compatible device.

My question would be, would all this extra-bloatware be beneficial to me in real terms. Wouldn't Windows 7 just be just as capable? As I run music programs and use music hardware which is pretty much a custom-built rig I do need the ability to run a system that is efficient and not constantly doing stuff in the background.

Anyway what will this mean for gamers, designers and musicians who at times will require to be offline at times for rendering? There's also the question of security and how much information will be getting passed back and forth. 

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Linux here too. I like it because it does what it says on tin. For me a computer is a tool and not a toy. Too many gimmicks these days

Message 6 of 13

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Interesting to see Linux fans here! I remember it from my school days, creating ASCII text graphics and trying different things on the terminal Smiley LOL
What about the IE 10, does that excite anyone?

Message 7 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

only if the o2 website works correctly with ie10 see my other thread about the contactus page and compatability with other browsers

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

only if the o2 website works correctly with ie10 see my other thread about the contactus page and compatability with other browsers

Well they are still not visable in my copies Firefox and Chrome. 

Message 9 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think the biggest problem with IE ever since version 5 at least, is the lack of following W3 guidelines for web page operability standards and protocols. Therefore when developing webpages you may come up against issues such as improperly positioned frames or CSS layers not quite as you expected.

The most compliant HTML5 browser to date is Google Chrome with Firefox and Opera coming in close.

www.html5test.com

So the onus is often the problem of the developer and not necessaryly the browser programmer.  However such as life.

I haven't used IE since version 7. Currrently I'm running Opera browser which seems a lot more lightweight and gets the job done. 

Message 10 of 13