Did you mean: 

Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2019 award 📷

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

We all love good photographs on here, and I spotted this week that some of the pictures from this year's Wildlife photographer of the Year 2019 awards had been revealed! There are some very powerful pictures in the lot - I put a couple below, but you can head over here and here to see more - let us know which ones you like slight_smile Are there any photographer's competitions you're especially looking forward to every year? If so, let us know as well and we can keep an eye out for them together!

jason-bantle-55-full-width.jpg.thumb.1160.1160.png

Lucky break by Jason Bantle

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 15.07.59.png

Sleeping like a Weddell by Ralf Schneider

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 15.08.56.png

Touching trust by Thomas P Peschak

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 15.10.35.png

Cool drink by Diana Rebman

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123321 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I looked at the page and this was the first photo I saw

A cheetah being attacked by wild dogs. As they are my favourite Big Cats, I found it a bit shocking. I hope it got away...

I also didnt like the one of the male hippo with the baby in it's mouth...intent to kill.

Nor the one of the turtle. rage

Some of the photos are wonderful ...others not so much.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff I agree, that's what I meant by "powerful" - these photos aren't just about beauty they're about telling a story, some very difficult ones. The beautiful ones are so gorgeous though!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 14

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25214 Posts
  • 817 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @EmilieT for posting the "powerful" photographs and, like @Cleoriff , found some shocking.

As I have always loved marine mammals and have supported Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd, I did like the "touch" photo of the whale with human hands in the water.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Some of the photos are great but the shocking ones turned me off. This really isn't the type of photo I want to be seeing. Yes, it's Mother Nature at it's finest and at for me, just at it's worst.

Sorry, just not for me, I find them unsettling and upsetting.

Message 5 of 14

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@jonsie @Mi-Amigo That's fair enough slight_smile I focused on the beautiful ones rather than the unsettling ones in my post, but I completely understand your comments and didn't mean to upset anyone - I just really loved the whale picture to be honest wink

signature

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123321 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@EmilieT 

The whale picture was quite amazing...wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yes it was, some were great to look at but spoiled for me by the hippo photo.

Message 8 of 14

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff @jonsie Still on the Wildlife photography awards theme but much more uplifting, I spotted this one smiling

signature

Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123321 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Now they are really funny and lovely @EmilieT 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14