Did you mean: 

Who is your everyday HERO? 💪🏼

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey there,

shiba-inu-wearing-mask-4587984.jpghope you all had a great weekend and some you may have been to a pub?! You may have seen this campaign by O2 about the Everyday Heroes. O2 has launched a competition to reward small businesses who have gone the extra mile during COVID-19, or now need a helping hand bouncing back.

The Everyday Heroes initiative comes from O2 Business, which offers around-the-clock expertise to small business owners, and will provide some of the most deserving companies across the UK with £1,000 cash and a top of the range device to help people stay connected and support their revival post-lockdown.

While this is still going on and you can nominate who you like, I thought about our personal hero. Who is or was your personal everyday hero during the corona crisis? Your brother, aunt, your parents, a neighbour? Who goes the extra mile for you, who could you not live without? And who deserves a big shoutout in your life?

For me this is definitely my best friend Theresa. It would take 10 posts to list all the things she has done for me in the past. She has been my hero for 5 years now and has been my rock. She recently surprised my with a massive pizza delivery to my door when I felt down.

I would love to know who your personal hero is? And what they have done for you! Let me hear your stories and praise someone who just deserves it!

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35220 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

The lady who works as the manager for a small (less than 30 people) NHS-owned care home not far from here. She made a decision to lock doors and prevent visitors, and ensure her staff had the PPE and sanitizer etc, a good week or more before the instruction came from upon high to do all that stuff.

Screenshot_20200713-191417.jpg

Some care homes in the area faired less well, not helped by the dithering and indecision from above... 

I am sure there were others who acted fast and helped keep their charges safe. They deserve recognition. 

Message 2 of 8

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Oh thanks @pgn - I thought we had no heros already. Do you have someone living in the care home you were trying to visit?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 8

pgn
  • 35220 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@LukasB wrote:

Oh thanks @pgn - I thought we had no heros already. Do you have someone living in the care home you were trying to visit?

Nobody in particular, @LukasB - just an observation based on how various such establishments locally got caught with their "trousers down", so to speak. Some took what were widely thought to be draconian measures - turns out they were right!

Message 4 of 8

pgn
  • 35220 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Here is an example of what I highlighted, @LukasB - different care home, different part of the country, and privately-run... but read about how they reacted. That took guts!

Heroes, I tell you. 

I know how conflicted instructions were, as my place of work was still planning to have all its staff come in as normal on the day after the St. Patrick's Day holiday on 17-Mar. However all staff who could work from home were given the instruction late in the day of 16-Mar to stay home after the holiday, and many primary schools, while still open, did not expect parents to send their children back to school that Weds 18-Mar - many flouted government advice to "keep going" and stayed home. 

If only we'd had the wit to do that a week earlier, in the face of mounting cases in Spain and Italy... 

'Nuff said. 

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That took some guts @pgn. ^^^^^^^

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

That took guts @pgn ! @Cleoriff do you have an everyday hero?

signature

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@LukasB 

Too many heroes to mention.

However as an animal lover, I have watched programmes where Wildlife sanctuaries, Rescue centres, Zoo's, Cat& Dogs homes, worked through the pandemic to ensure the health and safety of all the animals in their care.

In Africa there was a rise in poaching as there were fewer guards to patrol protected areas.

Last night I saw how Battersea Dogs and Cats home, fostered out nearly every animal, and found forever homes for them whilst working with skeleton staff.

We know how hard it was to get food for ourselves. It was even harder to get the right food for all the animals.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8