Did you mean: 

Who do you admire the most?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, the great broadcaster David Frost recently passed away which has undoubtedly saddened those who admired him (myself included).

This got me into thinking about how and why we admire those that we do. Is it the way they live their life? The actions they undertake? Have they said something that has changed the way you look at life or anything in it?

So, I ask you all: Who do you admire and why?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bill Gates, not many people that he has Autism like me, and this drove him to create Microsoft back in yhe 80s, I admire his determination, and until a couple of years back he was literally on top of the world's rich list.

JMy Parents, for obvious reasons.

Message 2 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I didn't know he was Richard. That's a great story to show that hard work can sometimes overcome difficulties in one's life slight_smile

Another I really admire is Carl Sagan. He's an astronomer who had some great quotes that really made you think:

"One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time."

Get involved:

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Martin Luther King.

The " I have a dream " speech and what he and others did back in the 1960's.
Message 4 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
A very good choice BoB.

I would have loved to have seen that on TV at the time.

On a related note. I really admire Rosa Park's actions. Sitting on that bus in those times of discrimination was a very brave thing to do. Kudos to her for doing so.

Get involved:

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

And the young guy that stood in front of a column of tank's on June 5, 1989, the morning after the Chinese military had suppressed the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 by force.

photo.JPG

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was amazing. Got goosebumps again, it happens every time I see that picture.

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93989 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

The people I admired the most are the armed forces sent to defend this country and to fight wars perpetrated by totally detached from reality men sat in their cocooned offices with no comprehension of the devasting effects that their decisions have on the good people of this and other countries....soapbox put away for another week!

The man I give my utmost admiration to though has to be my son who is a chief paramedic who has to be first on the scene at awful tragedies, tend to drunks at weekends, deal with the most traumatic issues with children and battered wives, then put it all behind him at the end of his shift and go home to his wife and children. Not something I could do I'm sad to say but thank God there are people out there who can.

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree Jonsie.

My big brother holds the same post as paramedic. Not for all the tea in china. The times he has popped by from work with claret all over him and the stories !

My friend is in 3 rifles and only has recently come back from tour in Afghan. He's one of those who go out in front with a IED Detector.

Message 9 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93989 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions