Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT is

@Cleoriff 

The six questions are:

Q1 [people]: Who, according to Greek legend, slew the Minotaur?

Q2 [geography]: Where is the only Cape in England?

Q3 [nature]: What is the longest animal?

Q4 [literature]: How many lines are there in a sonnet?

Q5 [currency]: In which country is the bolivar the currency?

Q6 [food and drink]: Which foodstuff has varieties known as Yukon Gold and Russian Banana? 

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several posts [as @pgn did previously]; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 10 October 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 10 October [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 11 October 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @Cleoriff 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Cleo immediately spits tea all over PC.... LOL

I'm off out for a while so will give them more thought when I get back.

Off the top of my head, I 'think' I know 3-4....

(Note to brain cells...START WORKING!!) Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

When preparing the questions over the weekend I came across some information which formed the basis for two of the questions, did some research and verified the answers - so these could be brain-teasers...

So what do the "regulars" - @pgn ; @EmilieT ; @jonsie ; @gmarkj ; @Anonymous ; @AnnieM   - who normally play along, think? Could you answer all, or some, of the six questions? And are any new members, or those who have not played before, going to have a go and make their own lists [but not post them on here] and see how many they get right when the results are given?

Good luck everyone  

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 15

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

At first glance, I think I may have 3 of this one @Mi-Amigo ... we'll see very soon how right or wrong I was - good luck @Cleoriff nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not well.
On an initial pass i might get 3/4 but those would all be a guess...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

One question please. Re the longest animal. Is this longest animal ever found (and no longer exists) or current longest animal? There is a difference I think?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo 

One question please. Re the longest animal. Is this longest animal ever found (and no longer exists) or current longest animal? There is a difference I think?

Good question @Cleoriff 

It is the longest currently exisiting animal - not an exinct or prehistoric animal.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A: Lovely Greek mythology. The answer was Theseus (the mythical king of Athens). He killed him in the Labyrinth.

A: Cornwall. Known as Cape Cornwall near St Just. (I've been there and it's lovely)

A: Struggled with this one a bit as I remember a tale of a Bootlace worm which was found in the 1800's and was extremely long. However, I clarified this was in this day and age and have a feeling it's a Jellyfish. I've forgotten the full name though have a feeling it's something to do with a Lion.

A: 14 lines in a sonnet.

A: Venezuela.

Q6 [food and drink]: Which foodstuff has varieties known as Yukon Gold and Russian Banana? 

A: I know Yukon Gold are Potatoes so presume the Russian Banana is the same.(though I have never heard of them!) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your answers @Cleoriff 

As some of those who regularly play along have already given their comments, and rather than keep you waiting, I`m pleased to announce the results to the answers given:

A1: Lovely Greek mythology. The answer was Theseus (the mythical king of Athens). He killed him in the Labyrinth.

- correct = awarded star [one of the questions prompted when I was reading over the weekend. This was a tricky one as most people assume the victors in Greek legend are Perseus [who slew Medusa, the Gorgon] or Hercules. 

A2: Cornwall. Known as Cape Cornwall near St Just. (I've been there and it's lovely)

- correct = awarded star [the other question prompted when reading at the weekend. I went there as a kid with my parents]

A3: Struggled with this one a bit as I remember a tale of a Bootlace worm which was found in the 1800's and was extremely long. However, I clarified this was in this day and age and have a feeling it's a Jellyfish. I've forgotten the full name though have a feeling it's something to do with a Lion.

- firstly: this was the QI-style question and therefore need the full name of the animal - but at least you did not fall for the usual answer "blue whale". You were also correct about the bootlace worm [also known as the ribbon worm].

The correct answer is the lion`s mane jellyfish. As you came very close to the right answer and, to be fair, I will award half star.

A: 14 lines in a sonnet.

- correct = awarded star

A: Venezuela.

- correct = awarded star

A: I know Yukon Gold are Potatoes so presume the Russian Banana is the same.(though I have never heard of them!) 

- correct = awarded star

@Cleoriff you are awarded star star star star star and a half stars - just missing out on the sixth and the Silver Thinker - well done with what I thought were some tricky questions [especially Q1 and Q3]

How did those playing along get on? Did anyone get the right answer to the longest animal, or know all six answers? Your comments and feedback are welcome.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @Mi-Amigo 

To be fair, I like Greek mythology so that was ok for me.

I could kick myself about the jellyfish. Lions Mane was the full name. Easy when you see it in print.

(I do have to say that was a quiz question a few years back. Then we put Blue whale and one or two others went for the reticulated python)

I have just looked for an image and found this.

Image result for lion's mane jellyfish compared to blue whale

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15