Did you mean: 

White Room Thursday Quiz 1 Aug 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

The first contestant for the White Room Thursday Quiz for 1 August 2019 drawn by @EmilieT is

@jezza1234 

The six questions are:

Q1 Which British monarch had the most children?

Q2 On which river is the English city of Leceister?

Q3 Who was the third man to walk on the moon?

Q4 Who built and flew the first aeroplane?

Q5 What was the name of the dog in Enid Blyton`s Famous Five books?

Q6 What was the first record played on BBC Radio One in September 1967?

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and answer

[e.g. Q3 Who was the third man to walk on the moon?

A3 xxxxx

You can post one, or more, answer at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 1 August 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted on Friday 2 August 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have put their names forward as contestants and those who maybe a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @jezza1234 

Mi-Amigo

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @jezza1234 for your response:

I therefore challenge the adjudication of the answer joyjoyjoyjoyjoy and of course open this up to debate. All in the spirit of fun of course

This is welcomed - as the quiz is meant to be fun - and this is one subject around which there have been several claims and some controversy.

Taking into account the definition of aeroplane, Clement Ader of France patented his steam-powered avion [aeroplane] in April 1890, and it is claimed he flew his bat-shaped Eole, fitted with a 20hp steam engine, at Armainvilliers, Seine-et-Marie, France on 9 October 1890 - but the flight was not sustained nor controlled. It was also claimed that Ader flew his Avion III, fitted with two 20hp steam engines, 300m [984ft] at Satory, France on 12 and 14 October 1897 - but Charles Dollfus, curator at Musee de l`Air, [aris, having studied the evidence, concluded "Ader did not fly for a single instance at Satory during the tests of October 12 and 14, 1897".

Samuel Pierpont Langley, Secretary of Smithsonian Institute, built several steam-powered model aircraft in 1887 but all were failures. His rebuilt model No5 flew 3300ft on 6 May 1896. Charles Manley redesigned Langley`s plane, and a quarter-sized model, fitted with 52hp engine was tested in Jan 1902. A full-size plane, with Manley as pilot, took off from a houseboat on the Potomac river on 7 Oct 1903 but dropped into the river, and was repeated with the same result on 8 Dec 1903.

However, there was one person who made a sustained, controlled flight in a powered aeroplane before the Wright Brothers.

Gustave Weisskopt of Germany moved to America in the 1890s, changed his name to Whitehead, and began building model aircraft.

In 1901, Bridgeport Sunday Herald, Connecticut, USA reported Whitehead had made the first sustained controlled flight in a heavier-than-air, steam powered aeroplane, flying over half a mile on 14 August 1901.

In April 1902, American Inventor magazine reported Whitehead had flown his No21 Aeroplane two miles over Long Island Sound and had landed safely on water, and had made a second flight with a round distance of seven miles, again landing safely in the water - both on 17 January 1902. 

It is worth noting that Orville Wright, annoyed at the Smithsonian crediting Langley, sent the Flyer to the Science Museum, London. It was only sent to the American National Museum after it agreed it would never publish or display any statement claiming any aircraft earlier than the Wright Brothers` Flyer in 1903 was capable of carrying a man under its own power.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Mi-Amigo 

This is a very interesting thread

Well Done to @jezza1234 with his answers

Mi-Amigo, would you mind deleting me as a 'maybe' please because it is going to be too difficult for me 

Although, I shall enjoy following this quiz

Thank you Mi-Amigo for compiling this quiz thread  

Message 22 of 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

The WRQ format was different back then... but my reason for reviving this is a little bit of to-scale model-building I saw earlier, ties in with one of the Qs on this quiz - I thought I'd share it... Even the undercarriage retracts!

Message 23 of 25

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn for your post.

This is quite appropriate as this was the first White Room [then Thursday] Quiz and we have recently had the first anniversary of the WRQ and the 500th WRQ question.

As you said, the format has changed.

The White Room Quiz now runs twice a week with quizzers pming me their answers.

The next WRQ is today - Mon 24 August 2020 - on a separate thread and look forward to as many as possible taking part. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Off to take a look now, @Mi-Amigo - always good to tickle the little grey cells now and then. Thanks!

Message 25 of 25