Did you mean: 

White Room Thursday Quiz 1 Aug 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

The first contestant for the White Room Thursday Quiz for 1 August 2019 drawn by @EmilieT is

@jezza1234 

The six questions are:

Q1 Which British monarch had the most children?

Q2 On which river is the English city of Leceister?

Q3 Who was the third man to walk on the moon?

Q4 Who built and flew the first aeroplane?

Q5 What was the name of the dog in Enid Blyton`s Famous Five books?

Q6 What was the first record played on BBC Radio One in September 1967?

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and answer

[e.g. Q3 Who was the third man to walk on the moon?

A3 xxxxx

You can post one, or more, answer at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 1 August 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted on Friday 2 August 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have put their names forward as contestants and those who maybe a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @jezza1234 

Mi-Amigo

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Ok so here we go. Sorry it’s a bit late been a full on day and I’ve only just got time to sit and do this. My answers are as follows

Q1 Which British monarch had the most children?

ans: Henry I. He had a total of 29 children of which 24 were illegitimate and only 5 legitimate.(Randy little thing)- I think

Q2: Leicester lies on the River Soar-been there recently

Q3 Charles Conrad was the 3rd person to walk on the moon. He went up on Apollo 12 and died in a motorcycle accident in 2008.

Q4 the accepted wisdom is that the Wright brothers were the first to make and fly and aeroplane. However a Brazilian named Alberto Santos du mer made a plane that flew but only a few feet off the ground. However this wasn’t an aeroplane in the true sense as it couldnt take off under its own power, couldn’t be controlled in the air on all 3 axis and then land. In that context it was indeed the Wright brothers.

Q5 The name of the dog from the Famous 5 books Is of course Timmy!

Q6 the first song played on Radio 1 was Flowers in the Rain by the Move. Members of the Move included Jeff Lyne and Roy Wood and we all know where they went after that.

So there you go these are my answers. Apologies I haven’t copied and paste the questions I’m doing this on my tablet and it’s a pain to do.

PS no Googling done on this all done from memory so hopefully I’m correct. The one I’m not sure on is the first one as it could also be one of the George’s. if I’m wrong I’ll defer to wiser knowledge.

Message 11 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jezza1234 

I think you are correct with Henry 1st. That's why I asked if it included illegitimate offspring. He certainly 'put it about  bit' rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 25

jezza1234
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Surprised he had any time to rule the country 😂😂😂

Message 13 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jezza1234 wrote:

Surprised he had any time to rule the country 😂😂😂

Over 30 years I think? Not much ruling though...rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 25

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

RESULTS:

Here are the answers given by @jezza1234 

A1: Henry I. He had a total of 29 children of which 24 were illegitimate and only 5 legitimate.

- correct = star

A2: Leicester lies on the River Soar-been there recently

- correct = star

Q3 Charles Conrad was the 3rd person to walk on the moon. He went up on Apollo 12 and died in a motorcycle accident in 2008.

- correct = star

Q4 the accepted wisdom is that the Wright brothers were the first to make and fly and aeroplane. However a Brazilian named Alberto Santos du mer made a plane that flew but only a few feet off the ground. However this wasn’t an aeroplane in the true sense as it couldnt take off under its own power, couldn’t be controlled in the air on all 3 axis and then land. In that context it was indeed the Wright brothers.

- Santos Dumont built and flew his 14 bis heavier-than-air machine a distance of 60m [197ft] at Chateau de Bagatelle, Paris in 1906 - after Wlibur & Orville Wright built The Flyer biplane, which made four flights at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on 17 December 1903 - the first 36.6m [120ft], fourth 284m [930ft] but the Wright Brothers were not the first.

- The correct answer is Sir George Cayley of Brompton Hall, Brompton, Yorkshire [who is referred to by ITN Book of Firsts, Shell Book of Firsts, and Book of Inventions and Discoveries as "the father of the aeroplane"]. Sir George Cayley perfected a fixed wing glider with stabalising tail in 1809; built a triplane used to carry a 10-year old boy a short distance in 1849; built a man-carrying glider. controlled by the pilot, in 1852; persuaded his coachman to make [according to Shell Book of Firsts] "the first true aeroplane flight", piloting the machine across a small valley at Brompton Hall in 1853.

- Whilst it could be claimed that Cayley`s machine was a glider, the first powered aeroplane was the Aerial Steam Carriage, built by William Henson in 1843 but failed to fly. Hewson`s partner, John Springfellow made a model steam aeroplane which flew in 1848. A full-size steam powered machine, with retractable undercarriage, was patented by Felix Du Temple of France in 1857, was modified and flew in 1874.   

A5 The name of the dog from the Famous 5 books Is of course Timmy!

- correct = star

A6 the first song played on Radio 1 was Flowers in the Rain by the Move. Members of the Move included Jeff Lyne, Roy Wood and we all know where they went after that.

- correct = star

Well done @jezza1234 - five out of the six questions correct = star star star star star

How did those playing along get on? Your feedback is welcome.

A new set of questions will be selected over the weekend.

If you would like to be a contestant and have not already submitted your name, please post it on the thread or pm me - @Mi-Amigo  and will be added to the list with a contestant chosen at random by @EmilieT 

Thank you everyone for your interest.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 15 of 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I got the same amount as @jezza1234  and the same one wrong!!

I have never heard of Sir George Cayley. Every day is a school day. innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 25

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I got the same amount as @jezza1234  and the same one wrong!!

I have never heard of Sir George Cayley. Every day is a school day. innocent

Thank you for playing along @Cleoriff . I hope you enjoyed the quiz.

A model of Cayley`s machine is on display at the Yorkshire Air Museum - read more

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 17 of 25

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I got none of those... this does not bode well!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 25

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@gmarkj wrote:
I got none of those... this does not bode well!!

Thank you for playing along @gmarkj 

Questions from a range of different subjects will be chosen for the next quiz.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 19 of 25

jezza1234
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

The correct answer is Sir George Cayley of Brompton Hall, Brompton, Yorkshire [who is referred to by ITN Book of Firsts, Shell Book of Firsts, and Book of Inventions and Discoveries as "the father of the aeroplane"]. Sir George Cayley perfected a fixed wing glider with stabalising tail in 1809; built a triplane used to carry a 10-year old boy a short distance in 1849; built a man-carrying glider. controlled by the pilot, in 1852; persuaded his coachman to make [according to Shell Book of Firsts] "the first true aeroplane flight", piloting the machine across a small valley at Brompton Hall in 1853.

- Whilst it could be claimed that Cayley`s machine was a glider, the first powered aeroplane was the Aerial Steam Carriage, built by William Henson in 1843 but failed to fly. Hewson`s partner, John Springfellow made a model steam aeroplane which flew in 1848. A full-size steam powered machine, with retractable undercarriage, was patented by Felix Du Temple of France in 1857, was modified and flew in 1874.   

In a spirit of fun I would like to challenge the "correct answer", George Cayley could indeed be hailed as the father of flight having got his coachaman to sit in his glider have it pulled by staff and thus it flew across the valley.

However...... the question posed was who built and flew the first aeroplane- the definition of which is: 

a powered flying vehicle with fixed wings and a weight greater than that of the air it displaces. 

Cayley's invention was not powered and was in fact a glider. Addtionally an aeroplane has to be able to be cotrolled on all 3 axis,Cayley's was not. It flew In a straight line and crash landed.

Therefore and ergo the Wright Brothers were the first to build and fly an aeroplane in the truest definition. 

It is correct that Cayley's invention flew and was the acknowledged as the first to do so but his was a glider not and aeroplane.

I therefore challenge the adjudication of the answer joyjoyjoyjoyjoy and of course open this up to debate. All in the spirit of fun of course

Message 20 of 25