White Room Quiz Wed 20 Oct 2021

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to

MiAmigo_0-1634719145333.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Today`s White Room Quiz is eight questions with two questions from each of these categories -

WORDS   LITERATURE   SCIENCE [one question on Chemistry; one on Biology]   MUSIC

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo  - their answers between 12 noon today [Wednesday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Thursday].

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff  @pgn   @MI5   @gmarkj  @BobM  @TallTrees  @RafaC  @lewys-gp  @Martin-O2  @jonsie 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and any new members will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S EIGHT QUESTIONS

Q1 WORDS 1  What does the word cenotaph literally mean ?

Q2 LITERATURE 1 Who wrote the novel "Rebecca", first published in 1938 ?

Q3 SCIENCE 1 Chemistry   Which element in the periodic table is the second lighest noble gas and has the

atomic number 10 ?

Q4 MUSIC 1  What is the title of the only opera by Debussy ?

Q5 WORDS 2 What did the 17th century word adimpleate mean ?

Q6 LITERATURE 2  In Dicken`s novel "Great Expectations", who was jilted on her wedding day ? 

Q7 SCIENCE 2 Biology  Approx how many named skeletal muscles are there in the human body ?

[just the number, you don`t have to name them 😂  ]  

Q8 MUSIC 2  What was the title of the song by Lordi which won Eurovision for Finland in 2006 ?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must send a pm [private message] to me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Wed 20 Oct 2021] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thurs 21 Oct 2021]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Fri 22 Oct 2021

Each member will be awarded star for each correct answer. In addition, Thinkers will be awarded as follows

MiAmigo_2-1634719145457.png

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Wed 20 Oct 2021] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thurs 21 Oct 2021].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thur 21 Oct 2021 will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" with this week`s quiz. 

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

I hope everyone likes the questions in today`s White Room Quiz, and finds this WRQ fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi there and Good Morning @Mi-Amigo 

Three Stars - made  up perfect Thank you.

"Sorry too vague"  🤣

It was meant to be quite vague 😎

Hoped to "get away with that one" darn and damnation.

Have a good week-end 

Monday Quiz prep. 🤔

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 31 of 38

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Oh the advantages of working in a Physiology and Anatomy dept for half a decade or more - I still think the cockroach leg nerve stimuli expt is one of the the more striking memories of those dim and fun-filled days 🤣 That and the cadavers 😨

Thanks, @Mi-Amigo - a stonker of a quiz, and well done all who took a stab at it - it took me several tries to actually get past a couple of the questions, the little grey cells are somewhat less retentive than they used to be 🧠🦾

Message 32 of 38

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Some real stinkers in there.

Well done all and thanks.

Not important but if there are 650 muscles and one person was awarded for the answer of 600, why was my 700 incorrect?

Thank you @MI5 

Pleased you enjoyed the quiz.

Fair point with regards to your answer to the muscles question.

As gmarkj gave the answer 600, which was 50 below the correct answer of 650, and was awarded a star; and you gave the answer 700, which was 50 above the correct answer of 650, it is only fair that you too should be awarded a star - which means you are also awarded a Silver Thinker.

My apologies and well done on your results.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Not being a real fan of classical music and Debussey certainly not a favourite composer, that one stumped me....However a great quiz @Mi-Amigo, thanks a lot. x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 38

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @lewys-gp @BobM @TallTrees @pgn @Cleoriff 

Pleased you enjoyed the quiz and well done on your awards - even though some of the questions were tough.

I hope you will all take part in Monday`s Halloween edition, which should be fun.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 35 of 38

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@lewys-gp wrote:

My worst showing yet. I've fallen on hard times but maybe a weekend of horrors will prepare for Monday's quiz 😂. Well done all.

Ooo @lewys-gp

You will be "our shining star" on Monday's Quiz ~ no pressure 😂

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 36 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Some real stinkers in there.

Well done all and thanks.

Not important but if there are 650 muscles and one person was awarded for the answer of 600, why was my 700 incorrect?

Thank you @MI5 

Pleased you enjoyed the quiz.

Fair point with regards to your answer to the muscles question.

As gmarkj gave the answer 600, which was 50 below the correct answer of 650, and was awarded a star; and you gave the answer 700, which was 50 above the correct answer of 650, it is only fair that you too should be awarded a star - which means you are also awarded a Silver Thinker.

My apologies and well done on your results.

Thank you for that @Mi-Amigo 

As I said, it's not important but appreciate your response slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 38

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo thanks for another great quiz, I learned a lot by reading the answers. I've already got the answers prepared for today's quiz, this time around I can at least give some guesses slight_smile

Message 38 of 38