• 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

WHITE ROOM QUIZ- THE REVENGE!!

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Morning everyone!

I posted advance notice of this quiz on Monday HERE 

The White Room quiz with a difference!

@Mi-Amigo  has been setting these quizzes and testing our brain power since August 2019.

Now it's HIS turn to be in the spotlight and show us what his knowledge is like, without access to reference books, Google, Wiki You Tube.

I also welcome everyone else to take part. @pgn , @gmarkj @MI5 @jonsie  @WispaRed7  @RyanK1992  @jezza1234 @Marjo @Martin-O2 @Bob_Mcg @Sy @TallTrees and any other member new and old.

QUESTIONS:

Q1 (Inventions) Lewis Carroll was a well-known author. He was also an inventor. What was his most famous invention?

Q2: (Music)  What song reached No.6 in the UK charts in the 1950's and then reached No.1 twenty nine years later?

Q3 (History) What was the shortest war ever fought?

Q4 (Sport) Up till July 2018, what was the most watched Sporting event in the World?

Q5 (Television) In the USA, who were the first couple to be seen in bed together on TV?

Q6 (Theatre) In the Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet, how old was Juliet when she died?

Q7 (World Record) What building holds the world record for the most toilets?

Q8 (Culture) In what country is it considered extremely impolite to touch an adults head?

Q9 (Geography) What Middle east capital city was once called Philadelphia?

Q10 (Medicine) What is the oldest, most widely used drug in the world?

Q11 (Literature) Night is generally my time for walking.” This is the opening line to which novel by Charles Dickens?

Q12 (Food and Drink) Which beer famously has a blue 5 pointed star on its label?

RULES: PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN TIMINGS

Everyone who wishes to take part must PM ME (@Cleoriff ) their answers between the hours of 00.01- 23.00pm THURSDAY 16th January.

@Mi-Amigo will post his answers OPENLY on the thread between 23.15 and 23.59pm the same day THURSDAY 16th January (once all PM'd answers have been sent to me)

Any answers which arrive or are posted after the times stated will be declared null and void.

Also no use of google, wiki, reference books or YouTube for anyone taking part.

ANSWERS AND RESULTS :

Each member will be awarded a star for any correct answer

There will also be an award of the Thinkers

Thinker 4.PNG

I will post the answers on Friday 17th January

That's it. Best of luck. Let battle commence yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144070 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@pgn wrote:
You can always hide behind the "Answer on my sheet is the right one" quizmaster rule, @Cleoriff 😉

Never stops the odd argument in the pub quiz we go to, though... 😳

Same here. 

As I mentioned to @Cleoriff in one of my answers, there was a huge argument over one of the answers when it came up in a pub quiz I went to 🤪

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 68

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25118 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Should be interesting to see the "alternative" answers to the particular question in this Quiz... when @Cleoriff posts the answers and the results... Horrified or Grumpy or Bouncy

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 42 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Just to let you know I'm here and will be posting the answers shortly.

It will take me some time to post all your answers, as they came to me in very different formats so you will have to bear with me on that!

@Mi-Amigo tends to post all the answers from each contestant in full, so that's what I will be doing.

(God help me) rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 68

Mi-Amigo
  • 25118 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just to let you know I'm here and will be posting the answers shortly.

It will take me some time to post all your answers, as they came to me in very different formats so you will have to bear with me on that!

@Mi-Amigo tends to post all the answers from each contestant in full, so that's what I will be doing.

(God help me) rofl

Not an easy task @Cleoriff - but much appreciated... I`m sure it goes without saying we all realise it will take time to post all the answers from all nine taking part - although I, for one, can`t wait to see what mine were..

Best of luck, everyone...  

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 44 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Cleoriff for setting and compiling the quiz

Looking forward to seeing @Mi-Amigo's and all our answers

Message 45 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

THE ANSWERS

Q1 (Inventions) Lewis Carroll was a well-known author. He was also an inventor. What was his most famous invention?

A:    Lewis Carroll was the pen name of Charles Dodgson (1832-1898), an Oxford mathematics lecturer. He designed ‘The Alarm Clock Bed’, which featured in the Great Exhibition of 1851. It woke occupants by tipping them out at a set time. Due to it's appearance at the Great Exhibition it was classed as his most famous invention. His other inventions included a device for writing down thoughts at night without getting out of bed (nyctograph) and an early form of the game Scrabble.

Q2: (Music)  What song reached No.6 in the UK charts in the 1950's and then reached No.1 twenty nine years later?

A: Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson. No.6 in 1957 then No.1 in 1986

Q3: (History) What was the shortest war ever fought?

A:   The Anglo-Zanzibar War was a military conflict fought between the United Kingdom and the Zanzibar Sultanate on 27 August 1896. The conflict lasted between 38 and 45 minutes, marking it as the shortest recorded war in history.

Q4: (Sport) Up till July 2018, what was the most watched Sporting event in the World?

A: The London Olympics in 2012 with 3.6 Billion viewers.

The most watched sporting events in the world are the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup. Data shows that the London 2012 Olympic Games have the highest ever number of viewers among sporting events in the world. With an incredible number of 3.6 billion viewers in the world, the 2012 London Olympics are followed closely by the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing which had 3.5 billion viewers. Three events are in the third position with a global audience of 3.2 billion viewers each. These three events are the 2010 South Africa FIFA World Cup, the 2014 Brazil FIFA World Cup, and the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. The only other event with a global audience past the 3 billion people is the Germany 2006 World Cup.

Q5: (Television) In the USA, who were the first couple to be seen in bed together on TV?

A: Johnny and Mary Kay Stearns. The first sitcom in the US.

On Tuesday, 18 November 1947, a 15-minute program entitled Mary Kay and Johnny made its debut on the Dumont network (which was run by sponsors) It starred a real-life couple, actors Johnny and Mary Kay Stearns. Johnny pitched the idea of a television-based domestic comedy to a sponsor. (Many such domestic shows, often featuring real-life couples, were playing on radio, but none had yet made the transition to television). Johnny got the go-ahead to produce a single episode, so he wrote a light comedic script about a newly-married couple who lived in a Greenwich Village apartment, just as he and Mary Kay, also a newly-married couple, did. The show caught on, and Mary Kay and Johnny, performed live, became television’s first sitcom, eventually running for three years on three different networks (Dumont, NBC, and CBS).

Q6 (Theatre) In the Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet, how old was Juliet when she died?

A: 13 ( "She hath not seen the change of fourteen years")

Q7 (World Record) What building holds the world record for the most toilets?

A: Wembley stadium with 2618 toilets

Q8:(Culture) In what country is it considered extremely impolite to touch an adults head?

This is the question I didn't research properly!! My answer was Nepal and I realised there was more than one answer when Thailand starting flooding into my PM box!

A: Thailand and Nepal. (PS no-one gave Nepal tongue_winking)

Q9 (Geography) What Middle east capital city was once called Philadelphia?

A: Amman (capital of Jordan)

Q10 (Medicine) What is the oldest, most widely used drug in the world?

A: Alcohol

Alcohol is a drug. It is classified as a Central Nervous System (CNS) depressant, which means that drinking alcohol slows down brain functioning, neural activity, and further reduces the functioning of various vital functions in the body.

Q11 (Literature) Night is generally my time for walking.” This is the opening line to which novel by Charles Dickens?

A: The Old Curiosity Shop

Q12 (Food and Drink) Which beer famously has a blue 5 pointed star on its label?

A: Newcastle Brown Ale

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got 1/2 question right ha ha ha 

No change there then LOL

Message 47 of 68

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35744 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions
Nepal, also Cambodia, Tibet, and anywhere with a large Buddhist population for Q8.

I stuck with just Thailand as it was an homage to @jonsie ;}
Message 48 of 68

MI5
  • 144070 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
9 for me I think slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 49 of 68

Mi-Amigo
  • 25118 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn wrote:
Nepal, also Cambodia, Tibet, and anywhere with a large Buddhist population for Q8.

I stuck with just Thailand as it was an homage to @jonsie ;}

Same here @pgn - homage to The Chief @jonsie 

Kicking myself over a couple of my answers - but will wait to see what my results show D'oh!

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 50 of 68