cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which holidays do you celebrate in this season?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hi everyone,

As Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights has just begun, I thought it would be interesting to find out which holidays you celebrate or have celebrated with your friends and family in the past.

Although December is largely known for Christmas around the world, it's actually a month of many many celebrations: St. Nicholas Day when children wait for their shoe to be filled with surprises, the African Kwanzaa based on ancient harvest festivals, and many more such as the Swedish celebration of St. Lucia Day, the Japanese OmisokaBodhi DayPancha Ganapati, etc.

Are there anyone here who might celebrate more than one e.g. both Hanukkah and Christmas? Any celebrations linked to your country or cultural heritage that you'd like to share with us? We're curious to hear about what December means to you, so let us know in the comments. smiling

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Marjo

It's just Christmas and Boxing day for me.

Boxing day will be the main one, as that's when we have the grandchildren and will be out for a meal.

(I also have a few family birthdays in December, which is a bit of a pain)....santa

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Marjo

As I live on the border of the netherlands, we celebrate Nikolaus/Sinterklaas here too (the dutch celebrate Sinterklaas more as xmas - at least it was like that, but it seems changing)... But we celebrate it really small.

For us Heiligabend (24th) is the most important day. 

@Glory1

Hhag Hanukkah Sameahh... ^^

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 3 of 7

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas as I have Jewish and Christian friends, not to mention some Muslim friends, who celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah with us; confused yet joy 

Funnily enough, the friends I'm staying with over Christmas and New Year are Jewish but celebrate Christmas as well as Hanukkah. So they will have a Christmas tree but also light the candles on the Menorah for each night of Hanukkah. Confused, you will be LOL

Thank you @ComaChameleon for the Hanukkah wishes. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 7

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Traditional Christmas and Boxing Days for us. Not so fussed about the New Year, hate it when its a working day on the 2nd January frowning2

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In Thailand, as well as Christmas Day & Boxing day, which are acknowledged for non-Buddhist cultures, December 5th is a National Holiday granted to the people by King Bhumibol each year on his birthday. It also marks Father's Day and is always on the old King's birthday.

There has been no mention of changing it to King Vajiralongkorn's birthday. Whilst the Thai people are extremely Royalist, the new King will never have the same worship as afforded to his father. So revered was he that it will forever be a National Holiday.

Constitution Day is held December 10th this year, again a public holiday observed by parades and fireworks which is to celebrate the lineage of the Monarchy.

The only problem that Western people have with the many Thai public holidays (many religious holidays throughout the year) is that all bars are closed and enforced by the military, though many a blind eye can be turned with a brown envelope to the local enforcers.

But the Christmas and New Year celebrations begin early and don't end until you've had enough!

Message 6 of 7

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just christmas day these days.  We do occassionally have a family get together for boxing day, but we've started getting together for christmas dinner the last few years.  Not the same excitement now our son has grown up

Thanks

Steve
Message 7 of 7