Did you mean: 

Where does your username come from?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, happy Friday and almost-weekend smiling

I see loads of different member names here on the community, sometimes funny ones or strange ones too which are fun to spot. Smiley Very Happy I wonder where they originate from so would like to ask you all:

Where does your username come from?

Is there a story behind it, or is it simply your first name (or part of it), like mine? I know some of your stories from over the years but it would be lovely to hear more.

Thanks! grin

Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I was born in November as well @liggerz87 though many years before 1987...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 80

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

wrote:

I'm quite shocked.... I make a point of  never asking a lady their age, saved quits a few teeth that way 😂

Message 42 of 80

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsiewrote:

wrote:

I'm quite shocked.... I make a point of  never asking a lady their age, saved quits a few teeth that way 😂

Not to mention certain vital parts of your anatomy @jonsie LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 43 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@liggerz87 wrote:
My surname is liggins and I was born in 87 so liggerz87 lol

Born in 1987 @liggerz87?? 'Nobbut a lad' as they say in Yorkshire....Bow

But yer nae a Yorkshire lass.... 🤔

Not by blood. However I had a load of cousins who lived in South Elmsall and their Nan was my 'adopted Nan... My own grandmother (a Geordie) was an unspeakable tyrant.

So I used to spend a few summer holidays in Yorkshire...as well as Sunderland with my aunt...

Nice to hear you've been to God's Green Acre / God's Own County ... @Cleoriff ... slight_smile ... I know you regard yourself as a kid from another city, a beautiful city to my eyes, ... To plaigarise a popular tv characrer = I am the only Yorkshire Lass in the Community LOL ... I hope that gets some response wink

Message 44 of 80

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So my username comes with a slight obession at the time with sheepdogs. Which I rarely see (dogs herding) these days even though I'm in the middle of several farms as the farmers tend to use the quad bikes instead.  

That and I don't actually own a dog. Or sheep. Though the odd sheep has randomly appeared in our front garden when they escape. 

Message 45 of 80

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Marjo seemed keen that I tell you where my username came from.  The very simple answer is that when I first started posting on forums I used to walk up fells at a weekend. 

In addition, twice a year a group of 4 of us used to go to the Lake District on a Friday after work, to camp in the valley in a proper campsite. Of course, there had to be a pub within staggering distance.  On Saturday, we packed up and headed off up a fell, aiming for a flat piece of ground somewhere in a col or by a tarn so we could pitch the tents for the night.  A meal of something pre-made such as Yorkshire Stew*, followed by an evening of reminiscing under the stars, aided by whisky or Southern Comfort.  Breakfast would always be bacon, eggs and tomatoes, washed down with copious mugs of tea.  Sunday would see us finish the climb to the fell-top, and walk down again to the valley, our cars and onward to home.

We've been up in all weathers, from gorgeous sunshine to p***ing wet rain, and snow.

One time we camped in a col near Bow Fell on several feet of snow.  The views were incredible of the southern lakes and the coast as darkness fell, followed by more stars than we'd seen since we were young lads.  Hardly a breeze, it was warm enough in our sleeping bags.  Those with less effective camping mats found they had a lovely body shaped hollow in the morning.

Another time was at Angletarn Pikes, south of Place Fell.  We found a flat spot in a dip with beautiful springy grass. Luckily one of us had to get up in the night (too much water with the whisky, I reckon) and noticed that we were no longer on springy grass, but in a stream.  That meant a hasty re-siting in the dark.  The following day the fells were streaming water, and the path down was more like a river than a fell-side.

Our last ever walk was a soft one, we thought, in the Derbyshire Dales. It was getting harder to meet up as we each had different calls on our time, and two of them had moved to the south of England.  It was Easter, and we had a wonderful evening in the local pub with a log fire burning. We were woken as dawn broke on Saturday by the tent roofs, which were sagging under the weight of snow (not in the forecast).  We managed to push my Citroen BX (it had pump-up air suspension so that it could lift the body above the snow), but the other cars needed the farmer's tractor to pull them out. We got to the pub as it opened, but were thrown out at 2 and not allowed back in till 6!  All the roads were impassable, unless you had a 4 wheel drive tractor.  Not even landrovers were getting through.  The farmer let us sleep in his barn, until his wife made him let us sleep in the lounge!  The following day the thaw had started, snow ploughs had done their job, and all was well.  We never did get our walk down Dovedale.

November is a popular birthday month for us posting on this thread!

* Yorkshire Stew was actually Locro de Trigo, an Argentinian stew, but Alan, with whom I shared a tent and alternated cooking the meal we took up the fell, refused to eat foreign food.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 46 of 80

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey that's awesome thanks for coming to post about your usernames too guys!

I have a confession: I previously had a mental image of you as a mixture of a sheep and a dog, @sheepdogSmiley LOL Until @Martin-O2 (laughed at me and) told me a sheepdog is a dog hearding sheep. sweat_smile 

@Fellwalker sounds like a lovely activity (apart from that snow!) and a wonderful time you've had with your colleagues. I used to love camping! Well I still do, just haven't done it in years, sadly. So now my mental image of you is a guy cooking bacon, eggs and tomatoes in a campsite under the stars with lots of tea. grin

Message 47 of 80

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

A boring one first name first four of surname and year of birth . Used it for years !

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 48 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a life's story behind it but have to live my life to get it :-: tho it has always stuck with me haha what more can I say ^_^ 

Message 49 of 80

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I'm a little late to the party but better late than never yahoo

My username is abviously my first name but there is a little story behind it. I was meant to be called Clementine, and my mother says that when I was born I "whispered" Emilie to her. I'm not sure how much of it is true but I find it quite funny smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 50 of 80