Did you mean: 

Where does your username come from?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, happy Friday and almost-weekend smiling

I see loads of different member names here on the community, sometimes funny ones or strange ones too which are fun to spot. Smiley Very Happy I wonder where they originate from so would like to ask you all:

Where does your username come from?

Is there a story behind it, or is it simply your first name (or part of it), like mine? I know some of your stories from over the years but it would be lovely to hear more.

Thanks! grin

Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79

Anonymous
Not applicable

You’ll be surprised how many mishaps everyday, but I can’t remember anyone in ATC killing anyone through negligence during my time.

The Harrier was a very versatile aircraft. It’s V/STOL capability made it standout from every other aircraft in the world, but when things went wrong, it went wrong fast. 

HERE is a report about the 1st harrier I saw fall out of the sky. (Nothing graphic but there are links so you can find out more)

Because the Harrier was unique it made working at Wittering unique too. Whereas normal airfields have a main runway (black)and sometimes a parallel(black) Wittering had various vertical pads(yellow) aircraft carrier ramp (yellow), grass strips (green) and lots of short take off strips(red) too. Which made for very interesting scenes looking out the windows of ‘local’ (goldfish bowl on top of tower) See the pic

5810A2E6-3BCB-47EC-A5A3-90F2DEDB2EC4.jpeg

Message 21 of 80

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  That info about the Harrier was fascinating.

My cousin (now deceased) worked as one of the engineers during the development of the Harrier jump jet. He called it 'his baby' (lol).....He was so proud of it and was also based at Wittering

What a unique magnificent plane that was. I know nothing about aviation as such, though I do know there was nothing more amazing as watching the Harrier take off and land (Particularly on aircraft carriers)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 80

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Like @Cleoriff I also am no expert on aviation though I do love flying but can't do it anymore. However, there were two things I always wanted to do: fly in a helicopter and fly in a Harrier jump jet. I thought the latter were magnificent.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 23 of 80

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
BTW we've done it again, gone off topic in an off topic thread; fantadtic 😁

Message 24 of 80

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Just thought the same. I am hoping @Marjo doesn't come back and smack our wrists Fear LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 80

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

Just thought the same. I am hoping @Marjo doesn't come back and smack our wrists Fear LOL

Oops.....Whistle

Message 26 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologise profusely! 😞

Couldn’t really justify starting a new thread talking ‘me me me’ but maybe I
should’ve!!

Message 27 of 80

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous this isn't your fault at all. You told us where your user name came from and the rest of us (mainly me) ran with the fact you were an ATC....

No problem. If @Marjo wants to move any part of it, it will probably go in the Virtual lounge or some other place....Happy Dance

It makes fascinating reading anyway thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Anonymous for the info ... what a responsible job you had

I too liked the famous Harrier Jump Jet ... couldn't believe att I 1st saw it take off vertically ... yahoo

My username is = Wispa my previous female all black cat + Red = my favourite colour + 7 as in lucky 7

Cat

Jobwise: I've mostly done office work = nowt exciting ... ... ... I once designed & made disco dance outfits when I was a pupil a town dancing school in Rochdale = luvved it, but made no money outta it ... LOL

Message 29 of 80

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I apologise profusely! 😞

Couldn’t really justify starting a new thread talking ‘me me me’ but maybe I
should’ve!!

No apologies necessary @Anonymous I'm not to bothered about getting my wrist slapped as things are but I have to say I'm totally in awe of the job you did....although I'm not to sure that the parachutists were 😉

Message 30 of 80