Did you mean: 

What are you reading?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys!

Today is Book Lovers day, so I wanted to ask if anyone here is reading any books at the moment?

What are your favourites? I love everything from Robert Holdstock (fantasy novels mainly).

I got reminded of this in the guess the movie thread today actually: I've read the Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller quite many times (at least 3) and even collected different editions of the book at some point in the past. It's also one of my favourites! Movie was good too. I recently discovered also that it has an epilogue called a Thousand Country Roads. ❤️

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

No @Martin-O2...you can adjust the screen brightness on a kindle. I just prefer the look feel and smell of a new book Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 32

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I would be lost without my Kindle to be honest. I travel a lot and to have a hundred or so books available on a thin tablet (screen brightness is adjustable but obviously if you can read it with a dimmer backlight the battery lasts longer :smileywink:) is great for me. Driving with the missus or going anywhere by train, plane or bus and you open the tablet, no need to bookmark or turn the edge of the page, it opens where you left off. Search for free books on Amazon, there are hundreds to choose from and filter to your choice of genre. I have around 30 unread books all contained in a 8 inch, light portable tablet.

People say you can't beat the smell and feel of a real book but I promise you that after using one for a couple of weeks, the thought of buying a £8.99 book from Smiths at the airport will be a distant memory. Ebooks are half the price and I do admit to buying the latest best sellers but there are so many undiscovered authors out there giving away their first book to make a name for themselves. I will read anything, any time and anywhere. OK some of the books are pretty dire but for free, you can just delete it after a few chapters and go onto the next....

Message 12 of 32

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@jonsie don't you miss having lots of different books in a bookshelf? slight_smile I'd love to have a room with walls that are lined with books.

More info
(And one part of that wall/bookcase opens as a secret door of course)

Message 13 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

It is purely a matter of personal preference. I have 2 Kindles and they are not used now. I trieD them for 6 weeks and didn't get on with them at all. They were bought because I travel frequently and am an avid reader. ..but no give me a real book every time 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 32

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

In the UK I had 2 full book cases of my son's books and those I had bought, borrowed or stole. They sat there for years gathering dust and when I moved they all went to the charity shop. Two car loads and when I think of the money involved over the years it is quite shocking. There were first edition books by Terry Pratchett and his ilk because my son was into fantasy and science fiction but the move here came all to quick so they could have been sold on ebay given more time. Damn shame but no, I don't miss the bookcases with sagging shelves under the weight. My son was none to pleased but he did ship some to his home in Berlin at great cost where no doubt they will sit in a book case untouched for years....

Message 15 of 32

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Cool, thanks for the tip @gmarkj! @CleoriffI haven't used Kindle much (yet) because I keep thinking it's not the same as a real book and I would find the experience somehow lacking. In the bus when I see people reading on their Kindles I always notice how dark the screen/page is. Isn't it hard to read like that?

Not a problem.

It is all down to personal choice. You can either have the standard (white background with black text), the sepia (yellow/orange with black), green (green with black) or black (black with white).

You can change the type of font, the size of the font, the line spacing, the brightness (in the app and/or screen) so there should be something for everyone.

The Google app also changes the background automatically based on the time called night light. This is based on the research into using your screen late at night impacting your ability to sleep. The screen is normally white, but yellows over time until it matches the sepia setting.

I own lots of actual books, but with the price (and space) to keep adding it is just easier having the digital version. Plus not having to lug around a massive hard back (or soft back) or 5 when you go on holiday is much more efficient.

My OH will only read actual books though.

@jonsie - while I don't have any first editions, there are certain authors/series that I will only get the physical books of. I have virtually all of Raymond E Feists, and Robert Ludlums books on a shelf at home. Some of them I think I have read about 8-10 times. At least!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 16 of 32

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Luckily or unluckily I am of an age where I can read a book or watch a film many times because I have no memory of how it ends LOL

Message 17 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Luckily or unluckily I am of an age where I can read a book or watch a film many times because I have no memory of how it ends LOL

That's because you have lapses in concentration....or probably in a coma @jonsie Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 32

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
partly that, but also as a reminder of what has happened up til now - the feist books are a linked series. there are 27 in total...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 19 of 32

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I'm getting slightly more interested in getting the Kindle now actually after reading your comments! I'm assuming there are all kinds of covers and cases available (like for mobiles/tablets)? I love to customise. slight_smile

Message 20 of 32