Did you mean: 

Welcoming new fluffy friends 🐹

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I've got some very exciting news: I'll be adopting two guinea pigs this weekend!  

Picture of enclosure for guinea pigs

We've been preparing their new home all week, researching vets, insurance, food, care tips and all sorts of things to make sure they are happy piggies. Here's the enclosure we've prepared - the ramp between the two levels will be added tonight, we are putting the finishing touches to it and making sure it's safe and secure:

Not pictured in this photo are all the toys, tunnels and "boredom-breakers" I've also got for them to keep them active and entertained. ☺️

Tomorrow morning I'm heading to a rescue in Richmond to meet a few pairs of guinea pigs and hopefully, if everything goes well, bring one (pair) back home with me. I'll post pictures of them next week slight_smile

In the past, I've only ever had dogs (and one rescue bird that stayed with me for a few years as well), so this is all very new for me. 

Do any of you guys have experience with guinea pigs? Any tips and advice you could share? I've been reading a lot about piggies and watching many videos lately, and all help is very welcome!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 106
105 REPLIES 105

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT 

I`ve bumped this - because it`s been ages since we saw any piccies of the fluffballs or read update on their antics... 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 71 of 106

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

My bad, @Mi-Amigo hugging

Exactly one month ago today we picked up Cookie and Brownie, and they've now fully settled into their new home. The cage has more than doubled in size since they moved in, and we leave it open whenever we're home so they can venture out into the living room (although they haven't gone beyond the edge of our large carpet yet).

They wheek really loudly everytime they hear any fuss in the kitchen, a plastic bag, or the coffee machine as I usually feed them in the morning after preparing my coffee to bring to the office. They love cucumber, pepper, lettuce, all leafy greens, fresh herbs, but no fruit. They also go crazy for pea flakes, and love getting them in the evening during lap time! They both met their vet for the first time a week ago as well, and were in perfect health ☀️

Here are a few pictures of them both:

Picture of guinea pigs Picture of guinea pigs

Picture of guinea pigs

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 72 of 106

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for the lovely photos @EmilieT 

They look so happy in their new home and are obviously - but rightly - well spoilt.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 73 of 106

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Absolutely gorgeous pics @EmilieT . They look really settled and happy.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 74 of 106

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks @Mi-Amigo and @Cleoriff, they're two little adorable monsters, getting braver by the day smiling

signature

Message 75 of 106

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lovely photos @EmilieT 

Cookie & Brownie look very happy & healthy smiling

Message 76 of 106

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thank you @Anonymous and @jonsie smile

Cookie looks like a classic guinea pig, but Brownie sometimes looks like a little bear ... sweat_smile

signature

Message 78 of 106

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Nice to see the little chaps enjoying treats they look really relaxed. Thanks for posting the photos of them @EmilieT
It's great they have each other for company too.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 79 of 106

Seahorse
Level 4: Observant
  • 36 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They are so very cute! 

Message 80 of 106