Message 12 of 25

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Vic 20..

LOL yeah I had that before the C64 too. I learned to code BASIC on these machines LOL

Thanks

Steve
Message 13 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a Texas Ti99/4A and a ZX81 before I ventured towards a Commodore 16
Message 14 of 25

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I had a 48K Spectrum for years then jumped to an Amiga. Sadly the former didn't survive being in a box in the garage for years and the Amiga got skipped by someone who should have known better. Ti99/4a  best game ever was Parsec with speech synthesiser!

Retro computing....you should see my bookshelves on the subject! From the games, the hardware and software companies even the magazines, the entire era is incredibly fascinating to read about now. Currently waiting on a Spectrum Next to be delivered (early next year). 

Message 15 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

I had a 48K Spectrum for years then jumped to an Amiga. Sadly the former didn't survive being in a box in the garage for years and the Amiga got skipped by someone who should have known better. Ti99/4a  best game ever was Parsec with speech synthesiser!

Retro computing....you should see my bookshelves on the subject! From the games, the hardware and software companies even the magazines, the entire era is incredibly fascinating to read about now. Currently waiting on a Spectrum Next to be delivered (early next year). 

Parsec was truly awesome, read HERE .. I hated refuelling...

Message 16 of 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35233 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Ah - Elite on the BBC B?

Elite-2.png

I played it on my CPC464, I seem to remember... It was a great game!

Message 17 of 25

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

The BBC B was the definitive version though I played it on the Spectrum. Which as you soon discovered, hyperspacing through the space station saved you a lot of hassle till you got a docking computer innocent

I've got the the modern PC version Elite Dangerous but yet to play it. 

Message 18 of 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35233 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

The BBC B was the definitive version though I played it on the Spectrum. Which as you soon discovered, hyperspacing through the space station saved you a lot of hassle till you got a docking computer innocent

I've got the the modern PC version Elite Dangerous but yet to play it. 

Yes, that 6502 processor in the Beeb micro did it better than the Z80 in the 464 or Sinclair.

I saw a game console using an emulator to play the original not long ago, and I have not played the PC version or the successor, Frontier, either.

Message 19 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

The BBC B was installed at all the local schools. Granny’s Garden was the learning software of choice!

We also used it to document our local area for the 1986 Domesday Book (project) 

...Back in the day when school started right after breakfast, and finished right before tea time. (Not like today)

Message 20 of 25