cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to make a garden fence taller, easy attractive and relatively cheap.

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

If I adopt a retired greyhound (see Im feeling sad ) they have massive power, jumping 1 3/4m from standing. Our fences are 4 feet and 5 foot in places so need extra height where there are no high hedges to qualify for ownership.                                                                                                        th.jpg

To all the 02 D I Y geeks -   what can you suggest as attractive , easy ways to block the jumper from heading for neighbour's  cats !! About 40ft Comic ideas for fun are also welcome 

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
You could try a trellice or get some wood and expand it
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

According to this article @Jenny105 

"Due to their size and strength, adoption groups recommend that fences be between 4 and 6 feet tall, to prevent Greyhounds from jumping over them"

A great picture here of one jumping https://www.reddit.com/r/Greyhounds/comments/71r8u6/look_at_this_greyhound_jump_i_had_no_idea_they/

You can get this trellis to go on top of your existing fence. It's from B&Q

Highgrove Timber Square Trellis panel (H)1.83m(W)0.32 m

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Good Grief @Cleoriff  that jump is totally astonishing.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

OR~ this could  happen if he/she couldn't get over it !!!

under fence dog.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

It depends on what type of fence and post you have now.

If a wooden post then you could extend them by using another one either bolted or screwed on.

If concrete posts and you have already reached the top of them then I am not entirely sure. Perhaps by putting a couple of pieces of wood on either side of the existing fence panel to hold a trellis in place.

If you are not the DIY/garden type then it might be worth finding a local trades person to come and have a look.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

He he luv it......    The neighbouring cat used to get under and purue our bird community. So .... weve stopped that

Message 7 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Good thinking .........

I found some trellis I'd bought earlier , to keep out neighbours bird loving cat . And had 2 fan trellis leaning against the fence

What do you think , needs better attachments but does it look attractive enough and would it do the job.  If so I'll buy some more trellises and poles.

IMG_8166.JPG

Everlasting sweet peas have doubled in size this week. They reach the fourth rung !!

Message 8 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

OR~ this could  happen if he/she couldn't get over it !!!

under fence dog.jpg

He he luv it.........    I think when boredom sets in they find other things to do. After all if you are no longer chasing little furry things round n round in circles what else is there to make life have a buzz when youre stuck in a garden !!

Message 9 of 12

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Looks great @Jenny105! I'd love to hear if you're made any progress with the potential adoption of a retired greyhound? It sounded very exciting smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 12