Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

War Of The Worlds - BBCTV series

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

H G Well`s "War Of The Worlds" is coming to BBC One in a brand new TV series - starting Sun 17 Nov at 9pm [see BBC series home page ] - starring Eleanor Tomlinson [Amy]; Rafe Spall [George]; Robert Carlyle [Ogilvy]; and Rupert Graves [Frederick].

trailer 

Are any of you science fiction fans and will you be watching this?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Mi-Amigo
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Watch Mojo TV have produced a 10min 30sec feature on "Everything We Know So Far About War Of The Worlds BBC"

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

Yes this is definitely on my to watch list. (I see it stars the lass who played Demelza in Poldark)

HOWEVER, at the risk of sounding boring, rofl, I am away this weekend and I have set to much stuff to record. (Seven Worlds One Planet, His Dark Materials, F1 in Brazil, SCD and I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here, et al) I will have to get it on Catch up.

I have NO idea when that will happen though, as we get back Monday about 2pm and I have so much to do ie unpacking, as well as playing catch up with recordings, it will probably be midweek when I geet round to watching it dizzy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Will be recorded to watch to see how it is.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 5 of 18

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Can't say I'm impressed though I will eventually see a bit on iPlayer. Problem is that I have this suspicion that it will be agenda-ised to cater to the social justice warrior mob rather than stay truthful to the book. Right on cue, the character description for the obvious female lead is this:

"Amy is fierce, intelligent and ahead of her time, aiming to study natural sciences at college. With the coming of the Martian invasion, she may be mankind’s last hope."

whereas the nerd who should really be saving the day but doesn't fit the "woke" script gets this:

"Ogilvy is a good friend of Amy and George and an outcast himself. He’s an astronomer and scientist who’s kind and good-humoured. His tireless experiments could be the key to driving back the Martian invasion."

Or it turns out to be another period drama with a bit of token sci-fi. Do I get a prize for predicting at least one needless sex scene as its going out after 9pm?

Still, it might slightly bearable than listening to Dakota Fanning continuosly scream in the Tom Cruise version. Maybe. 

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was it any good?
Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Must say I didn't enjoy it much at all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

Mi-Amigo
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To be honest, it has not been as good as I had hoped. slight_frown  

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I think they tried to cram too much into each episode.. It was nowhere near as good as the film.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18