Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to help stop unknown call spammers respond to the consultation below

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The uk Goverment is trying to stop unknown calls by forcing direct marketing companies to use CLI see here

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/requiring-direct-marketing-callers-to-provide-calling-li...

You can respond by email answering the following 2 questions. (email address in link)

• Do you agree that the Government should amend PECR to make it a requirement for direct marketing callers to provide CLI?

• Are there any other costs or benefits that may be associated with this proposal that you think the Government should consider before taking a final decision?

I did post this elsewhere and thought it may be of use here as well

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is an excellent proposal @adamtemp64 Anything that helps to cut down 'spam' calls is a must in my opinion.

Thanks for posting here. I have already emailed using the link provided. People only have a short time left to respond as the consultation closes on 23rd February

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

All well and good to try to prevent spam calls from companies based in the UK, but it won't stop the scam calls of criminals calling from abroad. This scum of the earth group preys on people who aren't tech savvy by telling them there's a problem with their computer or their bank account, and convinces them to give over bank or credit card details, or allows them to remotely access their devices. Some people have lost their life savings responding to those calls. If the calls do not originate in the UK there's no way to stop or regulate them. The new Barclays ad is a good start to educating people and highlight this kind of scam, but it doesn't go far enough.

On top of all that, land line telephone providers charge customers to have the caller ID facility on their phones. OFCOM should insist that the telco's provide this service for free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 14

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
TalkTalk provide caller display free of charge
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

This sounds like a good idea in theory.  Whether it is successful is another thing.  But I do hope that it does work. 

I signed up on the TPS online to reduce marketing calls and, although it has stopped a lot of calls, I now get a lot from 'unknown numbers,' which is more annoying as I can't block it.

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Scammers will always find a way around any rules but anything that helps to put an end to or at least to make it more difficult for these scheisters to bombard us with unsolicted calls needs people to take the time and support the scheme. Email already sent.

Message 6 of 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I agree @jonsie

When my mum was on holiday in Spain last year, she kept getting calls from Texas - I don't know how but it came up on her screen that the call was from Texas (very strange).

Obviously if she asnswered the call, she would have incurred a huge bill.

Or the bogus calls from O2 at 1am. (frustrating)

Surely when people sign up to things and say no to marketing, their decisions should be respected! Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 14

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Scammers will always find a way around any rules but anything that helps to put an end to or at least to make it more difficult for these scheisters to bombard us with unsolicted calls needs people to take the time and support the scheme. Email already sent.

Let me clarify what I've said. I'm not against this @jonsie, and if it does help to make things more difficult for the spammers, then I support it. I have sent my email. I just think that it needs to go further, and education along with legislation will do that.

There's a very simple solution as to what to do when you receive a cold call. HANG UP. Spammers are trying to sell you something you didn't ask for, and scammers are trying to cheat you out of your hard earned money. HANG UP ON THEM. There's no need to be polite. They have invaded your privacy. They haven't earned the right for you to be civil to them. If everyone just hung up when they received these calls, who are they going to talk to? If their efforts were a waste of their time 100% of the time, this would stop. They wouldn't have anyone to sell to. The problem is that people buy into this when they call, and that makes it worth their while. All anyone has to do is either hang up straight away, or if you feel you need to be polite, just say "sorry, I'm not interested", and then hang up. 

I'm not against responding to the consultation, but personally, I think a television advertising campaign, and written notifications from banks and telephone network providers to educate people how to deal with these vermin would be money better spent.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I agree with the hanging up method. I do it all the time now. A family member gains  great satisfaction from sounding an airhorn to get rid of unwanted callers like these. Each to their own I suppose...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I agree with the hanging up method. I do it all the time now. A family member gains  great satisfaction from sounding an airhorn to get rid of unwanted callers like these. Each to their own I suppose...:smileywink:

Love the airhorn idea. I don't think my neighbors would like it much though.

I do admit to stringing the scammers along sometimes. I let them go on for a while about how my Windows PC has a problem, then I tell them I have a Mac. That's when they hang up.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 14