Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

In fairness it's a small island compared to the rest of the UK though much can be learned from this.

Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Of course, @jonsie. It's a microcosm, but it shows what can be done.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I saw this on the news today @Bambino

It's quite amazing really.

Best of luck to them as it's changed the way people do business and schools are able to have PC's for children to use.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Best of luck to them as it's changed the way people do business and schools are able to have PC's for children to use.

It’s great to know it can happen. I just wonder when it will.. for everyone, but I disagree with computers for kids. Spelling & punctuation is a lost art.. especially when a computer takes away the learning aspect.

Message 5 of 13

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

It’s great to know it can happen. I just wonder when it will.. for everyone, but I disagree with computers for kids. Spelling & punctuation is a lost art.. especially when a computer takes away the learning aspect.

Unfortunately @Anonymous children using computers is the future whether we like it or not. Most children are more computer savvy then many adults. 

And children can learn to spell and maths playing online and offline games on their computer. Many games are available through the Play Store. I know I have a number of word games on my phone. Maths is still a nightmare for me so I avoid those Shocked

I agree though that punctuation is a lost art, I've seen diabolical punctuation in many official communications. Not to mention spelling mistakes. Education today is not what it was. Just ask any company interviewing staff.

Back on topic, let's hope the rest of the UK gets fibre reasonably soon, though I doubt it. There' seems to be a slowly, slowly approach to it all.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

With computers and childrens learning, I think it's a question of balance. I certainly wouldn't want it to be a replacement, though that time will come.

It's called progress.

I remember years ago when my lads were allowed to take calculators into the classroom. At the time, many thought that was cheating. Nowadays though, they use many other types of aids to learning.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino

I definitely wouldn't go back to ADSL I have to say but I was on a 3 km line.

I understand most of the Republic of Ireland now has fibre to the premises coverage.

It really is something that ought to have been rolled out years ago as it would have benefited both consumers and businesses although the Passive Optical Network spec in it's current form wasn't properly finalised until around 2008 so we could probably forgive BT a bit.

Considering that the mobile operators now want a fibre backbone to support 5g I suspect the rollout might shift up a gear because of their huge spending power.

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino

I get the impression you are chomping at the bit to get fibre

Have you run your address through Openreach's checker here https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre?utm_source=Openreac...

Here's a TinyURL of the link above in case it helps https://tinyurl.com/ycyptwz6

Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous

I don't suppose it matters that much to @Bambino now as he moved back to the US a while ago wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13