cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Games...Can they 'change your brain'?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

There has been lots of discussion on here over the past few days about video gaming. There has also been much debate about the effects these games have on players.

We have seen atrocities committed world wide and lots of debate as to whether violent video games were the root cause. 

The TV programme Horizon has undertaken a research study

What is certain is that science has failed to find a causal link between video games and real-world acts of violence.  

In fact, many benefits have been discovered from playing these games.

Improvement in Motor Skills, Visual Abilities, even Brain 'Growth'..:smileywink:

A fascinating study and related article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34255492

Just getting off to play Call Of Duty ...Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Imo,
And I've played games all my life and have always been in the "it's nonsense" camp.....

Yes, they do.
My eldest son acts "different" after playing some games, it only is short term, but there is a definite change in personality
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the people who blame violence on video games have never even played a game.....I cannot fathom how they would turn a person to violence.

As a gamer for over 25 years (since the Commodore 64) i certainly believe gaming has helped me develop my hand eye coordination, recognisation etc.

Message 3 of 11

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

As someone who only plays Haydays and Fallout Shelter nowadays, I really couldn't comment!

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Obviously we can only talk about personal experiences. Both my sons play video games. They dont make it a lifestyle but they play. I have never seen any change in personality.

My grandson is the nicest most polite kid ever ...He IS a gamer. Has played very violent games and the only time he loses the plot is when the broadband buffers and slows the game down....

They may have taught him choice swear words...but he would have learnt those at school. He nevers swears in front of me (or anyone else so I am told)....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Ooh don't EVER let the broadband buffer.
Cardinal sin right there
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thread @Cleoriff . I am sure this will get a lot of users talking! Fantastic

I think  we need to make a disctintion between video games and "violent video games"  as there are all sorts of games that keep you entertained and as @redtitbit mentions, can help you develop skills and benefit you in some sorts of mental development. Think tetris for the elderly to reinforce swift responses,etc

In terms of violent games turning people into violent animals...I think violence of some sort is somehow intrinsic to human behaviour (survival instinct and all that) so a video game won't turn you into a violent person. You are either violent or you are not.

What I think can happen  is that the constant exposure to violence will make you immune to violent scenes, maybe even lack empathy at some level but that would be the same as a paramedic treating injury cases on a daily basis. After a while they just grow some sort of acceptence and they are not bothered by blood and disaster anymore...Becoming violent after "playing" with violent games I think depends on the person and his mental wiring.

But then again I could be completly wrong. What do you guys think?

Message 7 of 11

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I think it's blue
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
I think it's blue

Crazy LOL

Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Most of what you say @Anonymous is well documented in the Horizons link in my post.

There are various research projects looking at it from different perpectives. It isn't just about 'making people violent'

Here is a side link from the one I first posted. This shows the criticism levelled at those who say they encourage people to be violent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33960075

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11