Did you mean: 

Valentine's Day around the World

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi guys smiling

It’s Monday! You’re probably asking yourself why I’m so excited about that. But it’s not a regular Monday: To my joy (and hopefully also to yours) we are officially kicking off Love Week on the O2 Community today! heartheartheart And Love Week isn’t just about the upcoming (and sometimes heavily dreaded) Valentine’s Day - Instead we decided to do something special every day of this week, together with the help of some of our amazing members, in order to give you a week full of fun, excitement and - most importantly - LOVE! 

Let it begin… with a little travel abroad. Saying little, but actually today I want to talk about how Valentine’s Day is in Japan. And even though we often think that celebratory days like these are universal, there are often a lot of different ways these are interpreted and celebrated.

In Japan for example, it’s customary for women to give a gift, often made of handmade chocolates, to all of the males they know as friends or colleagues as a sign of respect. This gift is called Giri-Choco (義理チョコ) which literally translates to “obligatory chocolate”. This tradition is however getting less and less popular, as it clearly doesn’t make much sense to be pressured into giving a gift in order not to offend someone. upside_down

pexels-c-technical-6716597.jpg

But what about couples? Still, chocolate (they sure know what they are doing)! But for your significant other it is Honmei-Choco (本命チョコ) which is basically the opposite of the above and means the real thing. These are usually made from more expensive ingredients and thus of much higher quality than Giri-Choco. Of course. Women don’t receive anything from their male counterparts on Valentine’s Day by the way, they instead have to wait until March the 14th, the so called “White Day”, on which men reciprocate the gesture with a gift to their partners.

Do you have similar traditions at home? Do you like to give little gifts to your friends or family to express your love? I really like the idea of giving chocolates on Valentine’s Day that I made myself, but I would rather do it all year round and get (hopefully more) back joy Tell me about your traditions at home and in your friendship circle that you enjoy as much as I enjoy my chocolate! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Giri-Choco to you then joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 2 of 34

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I normally buy one of those little teddies that you see in supermarkets along with a card for my wife.
We normally just have a chinese as a treat on the evening of Valentines.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj wrote:
I normally buy one of those little teddies that you see in supermarkets along with a card for my wife.

That sounds lovely @gmarkj and your wife x heart x

Message 4 of 34

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
So lovely @gmarkj
I cannot say we have a tradition but as mentioned by @TheresaV chockies are always a happy treat and I like making my own, when possible.
I melt white chocolate over boiling water add cream and chopped nuts any nuts walnuts almonds brazils ..spoon out on to baking paper and cool then in fridge.
Chinese meal is fantastic.
💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 34

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

That sounds lovely @gmarkj! I think there is a lot of pressure behind these days when all you need is a little token of love to those important in your life smiling

@TallTrees that's exactly what I usually make! Just with dark chocolate as I don't like white joy 

signature

Message 6 of 34

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@LukasB wrote:

Giri-Choco to you then joy

RUDE upside_down

signature

Message 7 of 34

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
@LukasB behave yourself...your recipe for chocolate treats ... 😍 please...
DARK chocolate 🍫 absolutely wonderful @TheresaV

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TheresaV 

Interesting tradition in Japan. Not sure I'm that keen on the girls giving the chocolates to the men?!

As for our traditions here at home. It's safe to say at our age, we don't really have one nowadays. rofl

We have been married for a lot longer than most people here (1967) so let's just say, we have done it all.

Been out for meals, bought cards and given flowers and presents.

Now we have decided it's a lot of money to spend every year and isn't needed.

Little things on a daily basis are enough to show appreciation and love heart

Edited to add, it was enough of a Valentines present for me today,  to hear Lewis Hamilton has signed a contract to drive for Mercedes F1 team for another year. heart_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 34

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TheresaV 

Lovely subject for Love/Valentines Week and I`ve learned something about other customs and cultures.

As to chocolate I prefer dark chocolate. Been a long time since a girl bought me chockies slight_frown

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 34