Did you mean: 

Urgent Frozen Veg Recall. 9 dead

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
9 people dead following Listeria outbreak from frozen veg

Tesco, Aldi, Waitrose, Iceland, Lidl,  – Issue Product recall.

Please check on old people and loved ones who may not be in the loop, listeria can be more serious for people who have weakened immune systems.

Full 43 product list for recall is shown in the link issued by the FSA

Greenyard Frozen UK Ltd are recalling the listed products. Point of sale notices will be displayed in all retail stores that are selling these products

https://policehour.co.uk/2018/07/urgent-national-frozen-veg-recall-after-nine-dead/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The fact it has already killed 9 people with the deadly Listeria bacteria is frightening.

Just checked my frozen veg and chucked it out anyway....

The other thing is, many people think frozen veg can be used 'forever'. Not the case.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

A few years ago it was salad/bean sprouts from a dodgy "organic garden" in Germany or Poland, as I recall. 

People associate Listeria with unpasteurised cheeses, not frozen veg - but who knows what gets used to wash and process the veg? I truly wonder at what some of the by-products of one industry are used for by another... And the CO2 shortage probably means foods are suboptimally  packaged, in this hot weather... 

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Scary, I thought being frozen then being boiled would kill any nasties. I used some of the recalled veg in a hash last week but no after effects thankfully.

Message 5 of 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Fortunately, I've no frozen veg in my freezer. But this is horrific in this day and age. I'm living on salads at the moment; the last thing I want to do is cook in this heat.

People will be nervous about using frozen veg, regardless of the name on the packaging. Makes sense, as many companies provide goods to more than one supermarket. I certainly won't be buying any frozen veg anytime soon.

Many people ignore use by dates too @Cleoriff. And there was talk of doing away with use by/best before dates altogether to prevent the wastefulness of food we see. Removing the sell by/use by dates isn't the answer, learning to buy less and only what you need is.

Removing the use b/sell by dates will only ensure more deaths from listeria and other bacteria and not just from frozen food. As you've said @Cleoriff many people think if food is in the freezer you can keep it forever. Sensible people know better. No food lasts indefinitely even in a freezer..
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The thing is GreenYard UK supply frozen veg to wholesalers like Bookers etc.

Restaurants use Bookers.

In fact my hubby, who used to work at the Civic Hall, knows that they used Bookers for all of their frozen veg.

It was used in the Bistro.

So it's not just people buying from those supermarkets who are at risk. Not sure restaurants would be that keen on throwing out produce?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m surprised that this story hasn’t been given more prominence, even if it’s unlikely to make headline news at a time when everyone seems to be gripped by World Cup fever. It is on the BBC website, but almost buried under other local news. I’ve just been watching the latest news on television, and again there’s no mention of it. I’m sure the supermarkets that are affected by this food product recall, will have appropriate signage in place, to make their customers aware of this latest health scare, but that could be too late for some people. 

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I thought exactly the same @Anonymous

I waited to hear it on last nights news and nothing. It's been in various papers...though as yet I haven't caught anything on TV, which as you say seems to be taken up with World Cup Fever.

Edit: I have just googled it and it is now filling a full page on the outbreak

Listeria is a killer  which we know by reading the headlines, 9 people are already dead.

Anyone whose immunity system is compromised in any way via illness (mainly cancer) Pregnant mothers and unborn babies, New born babies or the elderly population are all at risk.

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/listeria

As a nurse my feelings on this are... 'ignore at your peril'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9