cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Updated* Review, iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, Sony Experia T, BB Curve 9320, HTC One X+, 8X, Nokia 820, 920

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

** Updated ** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ykW3lDUN4 ** Link to the the nights video.

p.s buffbuff is on there taking about iphone 5 wink

Well yesterday I was invited down to London to a special O2 speed Rating gathering.

This was to test some new and some older phones against each other and see what I thought and liked of each handset.

Now I own a iPhone 5 and have a Company Blackberry 9320 and even though they were there and I use them, It gave me a great basis to compare and what I like and disliked with them as well.

So I reviewed the following

Apple iPhone 5

Blackberry Curve 9320

Samsung Galaxy S3

Sony Experia T

HTC One X +

HRC 8X

** Update Nokia 820 and 920 from my Local phone shop 9th Nov **

** Review from Buff Buff for Nexus 4 **

So to make it a little different, I’m going to do a Pros and Cons review       

iPhone 5

Pros:

It’s a Organised phone and functional, It does what It says it’s going to. Lots of Apps to choose from, Quality handset, feels nice to hold in one hand, Solid with no creaks and amazing screen. IOS Just works beautiful, integrating with Apps, speed, top notch camera and videos and imessage.

Cons:

Can be scratched easy (The slate one can), Battery is average (Better that the 4s for me), would like to see a soft button instead of a physical home button, IOS is too locked down (Not customisable enough) No real dedicated camera button (I know the volume button turns into one, but would still like a physical camera button) Price can be a issue and No home screen (Some that you can add a Weather and just time on and not App orientated.

Blackberry Curve 9320

Pros:

Great for Email, Light, Battery, Size, BBM (Although I no longer use it) and I’m afraid this is where I couldn't’t find anything else regarding the phone I liked and I really did try to think of other things

Cons:

Looks dated, poor camera, screen size and quality, don’t like the whole keyboard buttons (Too much  for me), poor Apps, Blackberry software, Slow, Too Long to switch on.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Pros:

This has to be one of my favourite alternates to iPhone 5. Beautiful screen, responsive, Speedy, Samsung Quality, Android customise, Light, Camera, android apps and I really could just keep going. I really do like this phone

Cons:

Battery life is average and for a top notch phone, the back just seems too cheap and plastic. (It doesn't’t creak, I just wish it was like a nice metal back or something that fits with the Top notch phone) My only other criticism is it is a Large phone and doesn't’t for me fit nice in my hand. But I’m really nit picking now.

Sony Experia T

Pros:

Really nice screen which was clear and vivid. The Size, Weight, Speed of the phone was good and no issues with slowness or it playing catch-up. I like fact Android is customisable and you can sort of do what you want with the phone. Loads of Apps to choose from and great features on the phone. The phone itself had a nice array of buttons which were logically laid out and worked without an issue.

Cons:

The 2 phones I tried I just couldn't’t get the focusing of the camera to work and the photo shots in the room looked somewhat grainy and had a haze on them which I was disappointed with. The phone also didn't’t seem very loud even at full volume. The phone as well didn't’t really excite me and I Like Sony products.

HTC One X+

Pros:

Screen was really nice and again Loads of Apps as its Android. It felt OK to hold and was weighted really nice.

Cons:

I never jelled with the phone, I also found the phone to be unorganised and the apps moving on their own the more I used them and I didn't’t like this as it became too confusing to find things (I know that there is a recent used and a non recent used but too many menus confuses). I also found the phone to be sluggish in that the screen jerks when doing things)  I just wasn't’t happy with this phone I’m afraid which was a shame.

HTC 8X

Pros:

I fell in Love with Windows 8. It looks fresh, Modern and its logical. Like the tiles and the customisable of the home screen too. Now for the phone lol. I also fell in Love with the phone as well. The screen was really nice and was weighted right. The phone never stuttered and felt fluid all the time. The phone and Windows 8 Jelled and I did straight away.

Cons:

Cost of Apps, Not many Apps too. Camera ok but it’s not the best. I’m not convinced about the back of the phone. Some people liked it, I thought it made the phone look cheap. Just didn't’t feel right or it may have just been the colour of the back (It was the blue one) You also cant place apps in a folder, even though its logical and you can choose a app from a letter, you have to know what the App is called.

Nokia 820, 920

Pros:

So I managed to get hold of a Nokia 820 and 920 today from a local Mobile shop and had at least about 30 Mins of play on them.  Screens were sharp on both of them, although the 920 does have the edge (And not just because its bigger) but a little be more sharper. Cameras seem good on both, but lighting in the shop was high so I cant comment for low level lighting. Both were zippy and dont lag at all. More memory is in the 920, but the 820 isnt low in memory, just doesnt have as much. I didnt have one issue with the phones and the sensitve of the screen was superb with lightning response from Windows 8. Wireless charging was cool as well, I actually like this idea. I prefer the Nokia 820 to the 920 and this is due to the size and it felt better to hold in my hand. Both phones were weighted nice though.

Cons:

I hate to say this, But the Nokia 920 looked a little square to me, It has a really nice screen, but its more square and doesnt fit into my pockets or felt nice in my hand.

Apps for Windows is sparse to say the least and this is not a Con for the Phone, but Microsoft needs to address this big time.

Nexus 4

buffbuff review:

Pros:

I had a quick play with that and found it to be very similar to the Galaxy S3. It was my first time using Android and there were some cool features of the OS that I wish could be in iOS. I was really impressed with watching video on both the S3 and the Nexus 4, as the quality and detail were outstanding.

Cons:

However, I just didn't like the size of the phones but I would be interested in seeing the smaller screen S3 when that comes out.

Scoring 

Black Berry Curve:   3/10

HTC One X:             5/10

Sony Experia T:       6.5/10

HTC One X:             8/10 (this was more because of Windows 😎

Nokia 920:              8/10

Joint Winners from me though was

Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5 and Now the Nokia 820

8.5/10 Each

The surprise of the night though was Windows 8.

I have to admit I instantly bonded with it and was happy to use it. So Im of to look at more phones with Windows 8 on and see If it was first time love lol.

I will have a separate review this weekend of my thoughts on

Apple iOS, Android and new Windows 8

One thing that I’ve not Mentioned was the warmth, hospitality and genuine nice people I met and not just from O2, but everyone on the night. It was a pleasure being there and even though I don’t work for O2, I never ever felt like an Outsider. I felt part of O2 that night and was being asked for my opinion. I just Flew so fast and I never got round to my video feed as I had to dash for the Train home back to Sunny Yorkshire lol.

But Top Marks and thank you

Hope you enjoyed reading.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I no perksie it's all rubbish weather up here in the north all year round apart from the 1 or 2 off days of sunshine 😞
Message 21 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

perksie, are you saying that you haven't adapted yet and grown a protective layer ?

And jonsie, I can't help being a delicate flower. 

Message 23 of 28

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

perksie, are you saying that you haven't adapted yet and grown a protective layer ?

I was told I would have to grow a second skin to match the locals, but it hasn't happened yet! Smiley LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 24 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Daz,

I just noticed the article on TheBlue as well: http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/11/22/whats-hot-whats-not-our-1st-o2speedrating-event/

You've got a special mention there! slight_smile

Cheers,
Leonard
Message 25 of 28

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Cheers mate. I just desensitised it. Famous at last. 😜  Been doing some more playing with windows 8, so hoping to have the review done for this weekend.  Wanted to be fair as you know me lol

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 26 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, nice one - I'm planning to buy an 8S, but Telefonica don't offer it to employees yet, so well looking forward to your review slight_smile
Message 27 of 28

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Very nicely done slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 28 of 28