cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Internet usage peaks at 9pm on Wednesdays!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Using publicly available data from one of Britain's largest Internet exchanges The Office for National Statistics has started monitoring the UK's Internet traffic recently and has already come up with some interesting observations. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 17.05.00.png

According to the ONS Internet use peaks at 9pm on Wednesdays and is most quiet between 4 and 5 am during the week. Some other interesting findings were: 

• Traffic falls between 16:00 and 18:00 with its lowest point at 18:00 on weekdays (not weekends

• Traffic peaks at 21:00 on weekdays, particularly midweek

• Traffic is generally quieter at weekends and bank holidays

• Traffic peaks at 13:00 during weekends

Most of these observations make sense such as the dip in traffic during the time most people are travelling home from work. 

Interestingly we also see a rise in traffic on the community during Wednesday evenings! 

Do you follow the UK trends for Internet usage and did you find anything surprising or usual about the ONS findings? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd guess they are using the data from the London Internet Exchange

Says a lot. I wouldn`t trust data from someone/something with acronym L.I.E. 

@Mi-Amigo 

Now, now

It's actually referred to as LINX and is a non-profit owned by it's members, the ISPs and content providers that rent ports on the switch fabric and whose members also donate engineer time to it's maintenance.

It actually came about to avoid BT and the early ISPs from having to send traffic that was UK bound  via the US in the early days of businesses and Joe and Jane Public using the internet, as it was both slow and expensive as the traffic was usually metered.

Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

@jonsie 

There's a lot to be said for banal social intercourse

Message 12 of 26

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd guess they are using the data from the London Internet Exchange

Says a lot. I wouldn`t trust data from someone/something with acronym L.I.E. 

@Mi-Amigo 

Now, now

It's actually referred to as LINX and is a non-profit owned by it's members, the ISPs and content providers that rent ports on the switch fabric and whose members also donate engineer time to it's maintenance.

It actually came about to avoid BT and the early ISPs from having to send traffic that was UK bound  via the US in the early days of businesses and Joe and Jane Public using the internet, as it was both slow and expensive as the traffic was usually metered.

All is well explained then to me and thanks for that @Anonymous 

some sense anyway.  upside_down

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Most of the findings were pretty obvious but I think it was worth doing in case there were any peaks in usage that defied expectations. 

My own usage follows the trends and I'm online most of the time when at home either gaming, streaming TV or music. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 

Yep, me too, considering how dull TV is these days, is it any suprise?

Message 15 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Agreed @Anonymous it's not worth watching. I particularly dislike the constant break for adverts. It really distracts me from getting into a show and they seem to coordinate so channel flipping is useless. I much prefer to pay for content on demand and be free of the constant interruptions. 

signature

Message 16 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

It's all down to individual taste I think? Personally, I think Autumn TV improves massively. Just finished watching Confession (based on a true story) on ITV.

Peaky Blinders finished 3 weeks ago. Loads more dramas are due this month and in November.

Also, who in their right mind would want to miss this stunning new series by David Attenborough?

7 Worlds, One Planet...starting on October 27th on BBC1

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29387766/david-attenborough-documentary-seven-worlds-one-planet-air-d... 

If there is nothing on TV then there is always Netflix and Amazon Prime

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

There's definitely some fantastic shows on TV @Cleoriff. It's more the format that I don't get a long with. It spoils you when you have an entire series available with no adds so I find it frustrating going back to regular TV. 

I do love anything from David Attenborough! The last thing I watched from him was Dynasties when they followed the penguins! 

signature

Message 18 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I tend to watch ITV3 these days. 10pm Monday Tuesday and I catch up with Scott & Bailey, Banksy and other programmes I missed the first time round. Not much else on now since Peaky Blinders finished.....

Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Agreed @Anonymous it's not worth watching. I particularly dislike the constant break for adverts. It really distracts me from getting into a show and they seem to coordinate so channel flipping is useless. I much prefer to pay for content on demand and be free of the constant interruptions. 

@Martin-O2 

My feelings on ads are a bit mixed as there's good and bad, always thought the O2 ones aren't  bad but yes I know what you mean.

That said I'm no fan of the TV Tax Licence so would prefer ad supported.

I subscribe to Netflix, Prime and NowTV so have plenty of choice.

Message 20 of 26