cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Internet usage peaks at 9pm on Wednesdays!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Using publicly available data from one of Britain's largest Internet exchanges The Office for National Statistics has started monitoring the UK's Internet traffic recently and has already come up with some interesting observations. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 17.05.00.png

According to the ONS Internet use peaks at 9pm on Wednesdays and is most quiet between 4 and 5 am during the week. Some other interesting findings were: 

• Traffic falls between 16:00 and 18:00 with its lowest point at 18:00 on weekdays (not weekends

• Traffic peaks at 21:00 on weekdays, particularly midweek

• Traffic is generally quieter at weekends and bank holidays

• Traffic peaks at 13:00 during weekends

Most of these observations make sense such as the dip in traffic during the time most people are travelling home from work. 

Interestingly we also see a rise in traffic on the community during Wednesday evenings! 

Do you follow the UK trends for Internet usage and did you find anything surprising or usual about the ONS findings? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25166 Posts
  • 812 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Begs the question - How much did the ONS survey cost and was it necessary when the findings are blindingly obvious:

According to the ONS Internet use peaks at 9pm on Wednesdays

Reason - there is nothing worth watching on the telly 

and is most quiet between 4 and 5 am during the week

Reason - most folk are in bed [OK a few exceptions with the nighthawks on the Community] 

Traffic falls between 16:00 and 18:00 with its lowest point at 18:00 on weekdays (not weekends)
Reason - school runs, journeys home from work, preparing evening meal...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 26

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well I second all the points made by @Mi-Amigo
Exact same thoughts.
Tea time 16.00 to 18.00 ...then 21.00 most settled down and bored with TV . 13.00 lunch time break and a catch up. Quiet at weekends lots to do catching up with home works or outings. Most sensible people sleeping 4/5am😇
Wednesday must be terrible on TV.
Finally hope that the survey didn't cost too much. Next time just ask o2 community forum 😁😁😁😊😊😎😎
Message 3 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My own usage seems to follow the trends. Friday night and weekend nights on the community sees a drastic reduction in the number of posts and it's only off topic that mostly generates what traffic there is. In fact every evening on here, it's only the usual suspects having mostly banal social intercourse that keeps the community ticking over.

The survey was obviously commissioned by the Office of the Bleedin' Obvious!

Message 4 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123019 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

^^^^^^^ So true..rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’d have thought usage would increase around 4pm as the kids get home from school and get on their phones / consoles.
I’d also assumed that usage would increase at weekends when more people are at home than at work.
So the results are a surprise for me!
Message 6 of 26

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Also I'm on this at night aswel and also I play Xbox at stupid o clock in morning
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

My own usage seems to follow the trends. Friday night and weekend nights on the community sees a drastic reduction in the number of posts and it's only off topic that mostly generates what traffic there is. In fact every evening on here, it's only the usual suspects having mostly banal social intercourse that keeps the community ticking over.

The survey was obviously commissioned by the Office of the Bleedin' Obvious!

Well then ... I must be one of the usual suspects having mostly banal social intercourse that keeps the community ticking over then ... ... ... *Am I Bovvered* ... ... ... *Whatever*

My x-husband once shouted at me that ... ... ... 'You Could Get A Degree In Stating The Bleepy Obvious'

We weren't very well matched ... ... ... methinks ... ... ... Thinking

Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd guess they are using the data from the London Internet Exchange (you can take a look too if you are so inclined here https://portal.linx.net/)

It's not really suprising as the soaps end at 9 so people are looking for something to either watch or do.

The weekend drop either shows people are doing other stuff or going out.

This could also be explained by people carrying a specific activity. watching stuff on demand.

The traffic involved can be shifted to private interconnects with the Content Delivery Networks involved or, in Netflix's case, they may embed a cache appliance in an ISP network, this frees up bandwidth on Internet facing links.

Peering and transit is a whole subject in itself but not relevant here.

As 5G takes off and car manufacturers take advantage, I suspect you'll see less of a dip between 16.00 and 18.00 in the coming years unless, as mentioned above, the content is gets cached locally by service providers.

Message 9 of 26

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25166 Posts
  • 812 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd guess they are using the data from the London Internet Exchange

Says a lot. I wouldn`t trust data from someone/something with acronym L.I.E. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 26