Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toys In The Attic

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Having a trawl through some of the "off topic" threads today, I came across my previous mention of the Dinky Toys Mini Moke from The Prisoner in the 1960s, which I never had but got me thinking

What toys, games, figures did you have in your youth? Have you still got any tucked away in the attic?

I remember having a Scalextric set, with the box endorsed by motoring legend Jim Clarke, but sadly got sold years ago...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

TCR was mine, Total Control Racing - slotless, y'see:

Message 2 of 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Having a trawl through some of the "off topic" threads today, I came across my previous mention of the Dinky Toys Mini Moke from The Prisoner in the 1960s, which I never had but got me thinking

What toys, games, figures did you have in your youth? Have you still got any tucked away in the attic?

I remember having a Scalextric set, with the box endorsed by motoring legend Jim Clarke, but sadly got sold years ago...

Funny just been clearing out Attic ~ 

no toys there!  

At home we had a Scalextric set with cars and motorbikes too.

All usual games bagatelle

Monopoly

Then that game with who dun it murder can't remember name of game now ~ something like Mr. Green in the Study with the candlestick! 

Liked Mamod and when older

darts (dog always wondered where the dart went!)

Was allowed to target shoot with air rifle (father in control) cat and dog survived

Enjoyed lots of different family joining in games.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 6

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Funny just been clearing out Attic ~ 

no toys there!  

At home we had a Scalextric set with cars and motorbikes too.

All usual games bagatelle

Monopoly

Then that game with who dun it murder can't remember name of game now ~ something like Mr. Green in the Study with the candlestick! 

Liked Mamod and when older

darts (dog always wondered where the dart went!)

Was allowed to target shoot with air rifle (father in control) cat and dog survived

Enjoyed lots of different family joining in games.

Nice list @TallTrees 

I think the murder game you mentioned was Cluedo. My dad banned me from playing it with the family because he said I "solved" it after only a couple of rounds thanks to watching too many TV cop shows laughing (I never let on but I was just making luck guesses)

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Mi-Amigo 

Cluedo of course! 

Well done to be "banned" good fun though.

Reminding me of these times was very nice indeed.

Thanks

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

It's really weird when talking about toys of your youth.

As a post war child, I grew up in a street where I was the ONLY girl. There were three areas of the small street that we played on and they were bombed sites. (I lived in Coventry so you can imagine)

The street had the Coventry canal running along the top of it. That was a great place to fish and walk on when it was covered in ice during the winter.

Apart from a pram and a few dolls when I was very very young, my toys were very 'boy' based. I can only remember having one main doll which was as big as me and she got wrecked when I took her out to play with 'our gang' of seven boys. I think she was used for target practice with catapults rofl

I was very much a tomboy. I could climb as high as anyone, shin down drainpipes, play football and cricket. Mum eventually stopped sending me out in dresses to play, as my legs and knees were skinned and scabbed.

I seemed to have a lot of scooters and bikes. I had a car set and a collection of 100's of cars. Dad worked at Triumph motors and Massey Ferguson. I also had a load of books, a record player and loads of records (78 and 45's) .

I went into cadet nursing when I was 15 and remember asking my dad for a motor bike. Request refused. I was within walking distance of the hospital.

I can remember more about my sons toys. Hot wheels, Scalextric sets, Train sets and every bike of the era. Board games didn't figure high on their list, though my sister (a teacher) kept those and books coming every year. Then I remember Vic 20's and Atari devices. 

I think this shows the different eras. In my childhood we were always outside playing. We made our own fun. Riding bikes along the canal path, stopping to fish with nets and jam jars. Talking sandwiches and pop with us, we could be out all day long.

Pretty much the same with our lads. They preferred to be out all day (when not at school) Although as they got older they were quite different. I knew I could punish the eldest by sending him outside. My youngest would go mad if we locked his bike away and kept him in.. (Happy days) innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6