Did you mean: 

Tongue twisters

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Most languages have their own, and they can be quite a challenge for adults and children alike ... Tongue Twisters are phrases designed to be particularly difficult to articulate. They can be used to help improve one's pronunciation, but most importantly they're a usually a good laugh smiley

As my mother tongue is French, I only know tongue twisters in that language and none in English.  Since yesterday was Tongue twisters Day, I thought it'd be a great opportunity for you guys to help me discover some of your favourite tongue twisters, in English or any language! It'll be really fun to see what they look like, and try to pronounce them thinking

Here are a couple of French "virelangues":

• Si six scies scient six cyprès, six cents scies scient six cent cyprès.
  • Ce ver vert sévère sait verser ses verres verts. 
  • Les chaussettes de l'archi-duchesse, sont-elles sèches ou archi-sèches.

Looking forward to your replies joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

He threw three free throws.

She sells sea shells sitting on the sea shore

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 61

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff

That Peter Piper one was the hardest one of all the ones you listed! I can say the other ones (mostly) ok but Peter Piper is a real challenge sweat_smile

@Glory1

Is it normal that I can't help but almost sing the that Woodchuck tongue twister? It's got a great rhythm to it ... joy Thanks for all the woodchuck pictures as well, they look very soft!

@MI5

I lost myself very quickly in these Lorrys. How many times can you say it quickly back to back yourself??

@Anonymous

I hadn't heard of the Fuzzy Duck game but it makes for a good tongue twister - repeating Fuzzy Duck Ducky Fuzz very quickly isn't exactly easy ... however as @jonsie hinted maybe the classic version of this game isn't fit for the Community LOL Any good tongue twisters you learned growing up?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 61

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
More times if I do it in my head rather than out loud!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry @Cleoriff .. none spring to mind!
Message 14 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry @Cleoriff .. none spring to mind!

@AnonymousI have plenty...but most of them turn out rude when you say them fast joy

@EmilieTMy nephew was in a band called Red Lorry Yellow Lorry (they shortened it to RLYL though!)

No pictures of him in the band but he went on to be with different groups, mainly Sisters Of Mercy

https://sisterswiki.org/Adam_Pearson

(sorry to go off topic, just thought I would brag about him a bit) joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bragging is good!
Message 16 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Bragging is good!

It is, as long as it's about other people and not yourself.....tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 61

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@EmilieT I must admit I never tried to sing the woodchuck tongue twister, though I agree it has a good rythm to it. Used to be able to say it fast 5 times (sober), not sure if I can still do it though. Must have a try and see joy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 18 of 61

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Fischers Fritze fischt frische Fische.

and

Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut und Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid.

We call it tongue-breaker grin

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 19 of 61

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
I'm not the pheasant plucker, I am the pheasant plucker's son. I'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes...
Message 20 of 61