Did you mean: 

🏆 Tokyo 2020 Discussion Post 🏆

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone wave

I hope you are having a lovely week so far!

Luckily, this Friday the weather seems to be a bit more bearable which is perfect for the official start of Tokyo 2020. And with the excitement of the Euros still lingering, we are now super excited to watch what is going to happen in Japan. But what are you planning to watch? Who are you cheering for? Who will get a medal? Discuss all the ongoings of Tokyo 2020 in this official discussion post! 

Ready, set, go! 🏃🏃🏃

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TheresaV wrote:

I honestly don't know the schedule of anything, I just pick things up in between but it's incredibly exciting to see whatever is on! Kinda understand football fans now joy

Yeh @TheresaV soccer Knew it was only a matter of time slight_smile 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 31 of 83

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @TheresaV if you go to the BBC page here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport it will usually give you the timings of events.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 83

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A bit sad that Sir Mo Farah is not in Tokyo. Apparently he failed to qualify by 19 seconds!!

Also I fail to understand how Russia are competing in these games. I thought the Olympic committee had banned them for life?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 83

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

That doesn't mean that I will start liking football @Mi-Amigo

Thanks @Cleoriff I will definitely check that out wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 34 of 83

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

A bit sad that Sir Mo Farah is not in Tokyo. Apparently he failed to qualify by 19 seconds!!

Also I fail to understand how Russia are competing in these games. I thought the Olympic committee had banned them for life?

@Cleoriff The ban was not a complete ban and only for a set period. More here : ROC. Apparently should be abbreviated to ROC and no mention of Russia anywhere on anything. Got to give credit though, the choice of anthem is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D8ygFN1ucY

I wonder what has all the money been spent on for Rowing. Surely they can't have just given it to elite atheletes and not spent in the grassroots? I'd put it down to the circumstances of the last year but perhaps not. 

@Anonymous BMX was definitely in London 2012 and whilst I had my doubts, I was won over by the event inclusion. Far more exciting and worthy than Golf and Tennis in my opinion. Flat out racing and effort with no room for error. Got to admit, the Kye Whyte lifting Bethany Shriever after she won gold is one of my favourites scenes so far. 

@Mi-Amigo I hope so too. I really can't bear that Megan Rapinhoe bleating on about how unfair life is for her. Which will happen with or without a medal. 

Message 35 of 83

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@sheepdog  According to Mathew Pinsent this morning, rowing has received very little Olympic funding for the last 3 years. Our glory days in these events is over unless they get a lot more funding. One of my favourite events and shocking this year.

Re Russia, many of the athletes are complaining about them being part of the games. They have acquired quite a medal haul apparently.

I also love BMX. Fast and furious and great to watch.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 83

Anonymous
Not applicable
@sheepdog .. everything is more worthy than golf & tennis 😉
Message 37 of 83

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another gold, fabulous!
Message 38 of 83

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes the mixed 4 swimming relay Gold.

Johnny Brownlee for the triathlon. Gold

Simone Biles has pulled out of more events

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 83

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
I didn't realise they'd expanded the mixed racing to other events other than athletics. Definitely a plus for these games and brings a lot of interesting tactics. As far as I'm concerned, Simone Biles can go home now. After seeing her audaciously parade her silver medal all smiling and laughing, I have zero respect for her now. Least she could have said is that I don't deserve this and won't be on the podium to collect but yet, the photo opportunity was taken. Sad thing is, the other team members who are there and better prepared to step up are going to be bitter towards her the longer she puts off a decision. The team manager needs to take control and make the decision for the sake of the teams chances.
Message 40 of 83