Did you mean: 

🏆 Tokyo 2020 Discussion Post 🏆

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone wave

I hope you are having a lovely week so far!

Luckily, this Friday the weather seems to be a bit more bearable which is perfect for the official start of Tokyo 2020. And with the excitement of the Euros still lingering, we are now super excited to watch what is going to happen in Japan. But what are you planning to watch? Who are you cheering for? Who will get a medal? Discuss all the ongoings of Tokyo 2020 in this official discussion post! 

Ready, set, go! 🏃🏃🏃

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I have watched a couple of things over the weekend. Of course, the atmosphere is different with no big crowds of spectators but I did really enjoy seeing the athletes in action. However, I agree @sheepdog it doesn't seem that fair of a win if a lot of contestants had to withdraw at short notice due to testing positive...

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 11 of 83

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TheresaV @gmarkj @Cleoriff @sheepdog @Anonymous 

To be honest, the only thing that interests me in Tokyo 2020 Olympics is the Womens Football.

Great to see GB have already qualified for the quarter-finals, having beaten hosts Japan with goal from England`s Lioness Ellen White kissing_heart. Team GB are top of the table and play Canada [2nd in table] tomorrow, Tuesday 8pm local time...

So I`ll be cheering on GB Womens Football Team soccer

more here 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 12 of 83

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I wish I could get myself excited for football @Mi-Amigo sob Cheering on the GB team for you though smiling Not planning to watch anything else in particular, just if it's on the telly and I stumble across it, I find myself enjoying some of the sports quite a lot!

signature

Message 13 of 83

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I've watched a bit over the weekend. and today.

Adam Peaty swimming...Superb. Gold medal

Tom Daley and hs new partner won Gold for Diving

Tom Pitcock ( @Anonymous) won Gold for mountain biking (He had a broken collarbone 2 months ago.)

Jade Jones who has won 2 golds previously for Taekwondo, out in the first round so that was a shock.

I love the sailing and rowing events. We have always been world beaters at this. All I can say now is, we need to do something and fast as we are barely scraping through.

Also love the horse eventing and dressage

Charlotte DuJardin who has won Gold with Valegro has retired him this year. She has a new horse called

Gio. Already performed superbly and is the final.

I love the cycling as well. Hopefully we will do well at this

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 83

Anonymous
Not applicable
ooOOooo another few medals overnight.
Message 15 of 83

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I am getting really hooked on this now. Watched some of the Taekwondo this morning too @Cleoriff and enjoyed it more than I thought! My favourite was the Gold won for Diving, what a performance by the two of them! More medals pleaaaaase yahoo

signature

Message 16 of 83

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Absolute shock. Simone Biles the US gold medalist gymnast has dropped out of Team US. No news as yet as to the reason.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 83

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I saw that @Cleoriff, such a pity!

signature

Message 18 of 83

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Apparently "mental health issues". I don't buy it. She's an accomplished winner so she either she came into the event carrying an injury or having messed up, realising she blew the team's chances of Gold and gave up. As it seems, the rules allow for a change so I'm bemused to why even start if it was an injury (looking at the footage post vault, I'd have to rule injury out).

The latter, well it happens in the Olympics to the greats so why withdraw and not fight back for the team? People respect that especially in the Olympics and makes a legend. Now it would be interesting to see what happens if she turns up for the individual event later this week and whether it is injury or petulance. 

Otherwise, very well done to the British girls for getting bronze in the gymnastics! A lot of medals for Team GB again today. 

Message 19 of 83

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@sheepdog 

Good to hear the British gymnastics team gained bronze in the team event

Simone Biles is an acomplished international sportswoman she should not have withdrawn ... = ... it was her country's team event after all

I thought sportsmen and sportswomen had such a drive to win, thinking of Andy Murray.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 20 of 83