Did you mean: 

🏆 Tokyo 2020 Discussion Post 🏆

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone wave

I hope you are having a lovely week so far!

Luckily, this Friday the weather seems to be a bit more bearable which is perfect for the official start of Tokyo 2020. And with the excitement of the Euros still lingering, we are now super excited to watch what is going to happen in Japan. But what are you planning to watch? Who are you cheering for? Who will get a medal? Discuss all the ongoings of Tokyo 2020 in this official discussion post! 

Ready, set, go! 🏃🏃🏃

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Find it very amusing that the opening ceremony of the Games... is after the Games has started!
Will read the odd bit of news and see some highlights but not that much of a fan.
Think the only thing I will look for is the ladies football - go Team GB!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 83

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Always look forward to any Olympics @TheresaV but have grave doubts about this one.

Watched part of the opening ceremony and wasn't impressed if honest. My main concern is the level of Covid is extremely high there and many residents are protesting. The organiser in Japan resigned last night.

It seems to me the IOC were determined this would go ahead come what may.

If you think Japan has refused to allow F1 to go ahead this year, it all seems like double standards to me

Sorry but I don't think this will go well at all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 83

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I completely understand that @Cleoriff it's a bit off an odd one this time and it seems like new things are coming up on the daily that just add to the worry. However, similar to the Euros, I think it will give a lot of people some positive distraction from the current situation and a reason to cheer on their team over the telly smiling Keeping that in mind, I hope the organisers will be cautious and take the safety measures very serious throughout the games.

I myself am also cheering on the Women's Footbal GB team @gmarkj tongue_winking

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 83

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yeah it is a little worrying seeing so many athletes have to withdraw due to a positive covid test...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 83

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
The difference is the olympics have cost Japan £11Bn to put on and build.

Japan has only 1,500 cases of covid reported across the population (today) and don't forget Tokyo is a city 12x the population of Wales and 7x Scotland, there Vaccine programme has been a shambles though.

And the Opening Ceremony Director was sacked the day before, I cant find for what reason.

I found the Opening Ceremony excellent, and was typical Japanese understated and thought provoking.

I am a big Japanophile, and have been to Tokyo 4 times so i am a bit biased..

I also think the Japanese people will get behind it now it has started.

I cant wait to see Skateboarding, Surfing and Climbing....

Come on Team GB and Arrigato San slight_smile
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 83

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Looking forward to the gymnastics slight_smile

Usually enjoy the opening ceremony, but missed it today, due to the day just 'getting away from me'

imo should not have gone ahead ... = ... miss one games

Have the games just gone ahead because of all the world's tv (big money) contracts ?

I remember 1964 Olympics in Tokyo ... I'd be 10 years old ... theme tune was 'Tokyo Melody' ... = ... still on town's WMC Working Mens Club jukebox slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 7 of 83

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

I understand the points you make (even though I may disagree with some of them Lol)

However it still doesn't explain the cancellation of the Japanese F1. It could be run behind closed doors as happens with some circuits. Or even limited crowds.

F1 has proved itself to be one of the safest sports in terms of Covid. Teams remain in a bubble. Social distancing with the commentary team still is practiced and masks are worn. (except for Silverstone which was one of the governments test events)

So to cancel it out of hand means a loss to the economy. It's a 3 day spectacle with teams arriving on the Monday. A bit ass backwards really. Suzuka is a brilliant track.

Either way, come on Team GB. trophy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 83

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@madasaf1sh The opening ceremony director was sacked due to making a joke about the holocaust way back in the 90's source: BBC here  

Whilst I'm usually a big fan of the Olympics and Japan's facilities are fantastic, for the first time since 1980, I won't be making an effort to watch it. The complete ban on spectators is going to kill many sports especially my favourite - the athletics. With the last minute withdrawls, I can't help feeling the winners in some events may never be judged as worthy winners due to Covid reasons and this will be the lost games. Add to that the "right to protest" is going to be a turn off for many should some competitors do that on the podium.

I'll still tune in for the 100metres and relays but everything else, I'll just catch the highlights. Or maybe not, just found out Claire Balding is doing that evening show.

Message 9 of 83

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see a few medals have rolled in. Gutted to see the name of Matty Lee being left behind in the shadow of Tom Daley, both achieved the same thing but ML at the 1st time of asking.. more of an achievement in my eyes.

And Adam Peaty beating everyone again... outstanding!

Message 10 of 83