Did you mean: 

Tiny Elephant Shrews 🐭🐘

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys,

I spotted some good and cute news in an article here saying that tiny elephant shrews 🐭🐘 have been re-discovered after being thought extinct since 1968! I love hearing this type of news. I have also never heard of elephant shrews so I learned something new.

This is what they look like. Look at that little elongated snout grin Elephant shrews are also called sengi, these ones specifically are called Somali sengi, and apparently their closest relatives are the aardvark, elephant and manatee.

elephant-shrew

More photos here

According to the article, finding these tiny elephant shrews is the first step of the conservation process to make sure the species survives now. In addition to these ones, there are 20 other species of elephant shrews around the world. These ones are the most mysterious and were rediscovered in Djibouti in the horn of Africa.

I do like spotting these types of positive news especially during uncertain times like these. What do you think of these tiny elephant shrews? smile 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

What a lovely discovery. So tiny and adorable @Marjo 

I hadn't heard of them before. smiling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Great news @Marjo 

Thanks for sharing a new addition to the animals mentioned on Off Topic.

I guess we should give the little chap in @Marjo `s post a name. Any suggestions?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions