Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three UK start to terminate all legacy tariffs

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

A number of people out of contract on legacy tariffs with Three have started to receive texts asking them to contact three about their tariffs. When contacted customers are given the option to move to a current tariff or terminate.

There's an extensive thread on Digital Spy about this and similar threads on MSE and HUKD too.

I know there's a fair few on this forum on O2 legacy tariffs so lets hope they don't get any ideas. Looks like I jumped ship from 3 to EE at the exact right time as 3's current tariffs are dire and very expensive compared to the legacy one plan

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @davethorp 

Well this doesn't look good at all.  Are we sure this 'change to tariff' scenario isn't warning of something more to come? (like  a takeover by some other network...or worse?)

I am always suspicious as to the rationale for such change...

It could be something simple I expect...such as costing 3 too much to sustain this tariff...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 23

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

In this case I suspect the main factor is that the legacy one plan offers unlimited tethering whereas their current plans have a limit of 2GB with a handset and 4GB sim only for tethering even if the tariff offers unlimited data.

A lot of people use 100s of gigabytes of data as they use the service for a fixed line replacement. So it's not too surprising that 3 are trying to get them off the tariff by any means necessary. Although it isn't just the high users being contacted

Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I agree - Unlimited tethering will cripple them now they are getting a bigger customer base (we predicted this a while back) and they will have hoped that more customers would voluntarily have moved tariffs by now I guess......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks both for that explanation...It gives me a clearer picture. Pleased I am not with 3 anyway...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I've never used Three, so that obviously doesn't affect me, but I was thinking of trying them just to see if their coverage was better than what I get with O2. Their sim only tariffs still look reasonable, and also look competitive, if not better than O2's.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a sign of the times I think with as said Netwirks struggling especially with tethering happening more and more.
Message 7 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I've never used Three, so that obviously doesn't affect me, but I was thinking of trying them just to see if their coverage was better than what I get with O2. Their sim only tariffs still look reasonable, and also look competitive, if not better than O2's.

You can still get unlimited data for £15 on PAYG which is the one I use.

No tethering allowed but it's not often I need it anyway - Occasionally when on holiday but I just top up the dongle for a month then.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

You can still get unlimited data for £15 on PAYG which is the one I use.

No tethering allowed but it's not often I need it anyway - Occasionally when on holiday but I just top up the dongle for a month then.

I've been thinking of switching for some time now. It's just a question of getting around to doing it. I need to check the coverage first, which is always my priority.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
and very sensible wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 23