Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143407 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Wish they'd hurry up !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to be on Three and would rate their network as the best there is for speed for 3G, no experience of their 4G - I can only see this being of benefit in terms of the infrastructure. And I will take your word about the article, not spending a £1 to read it lol!!

Message 3 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous you can see what it says here for free wink

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/23/us-telefonica-m-a-idUSKBN0MJ2DB20150323

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they don't call the new network Ozone they really are missing a trick - O3!

Message 5 of 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@Anonymous you can see what it says here for free wink

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/23/us-telefonica-m-a-idUSKBN0MJ2DB20150323

Thanks for that free link @Bambino 

I see they are saying this...

"However since the deal is yet to be finalised, the timing could still slip, FT reported, citing a source".

Which does give them a deadline cop out I suppose....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 25

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Unfortunately the network will more than very likely be called -Three.
Spent too much on acquisition and rebranding o2 in Ireland to then go and spin off a different brand.
Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really hope the deal goes ahead. I tried Three out last year and their 3G coverage was superb. My opinion of O2’s 3G coverage is patchy to say the least.

I’m also finding O2’s data network to be really poor lately. Trying to do anything demanding such as stream video, results in long wait times till it buffers and normally I give up on it.

To have O2’s excellent 2G coverage combined with Three’s excellent 3G coverage and their data network, would be great. Although the deal isn' t finalised yet, so anything could happen.

Message 8 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for that free link @Bambino 

I see they are saying this...

"However since the deal is yet to be finalised, the timing could still slip, FT reported, citing a source".

Which does give them a deadline cop out I suppose....

I think the deal will go ahead @Cleoriff but they always have to have a get out. It may not be approved by the European monopolies commission, but I don't think they'll stand in the way.
I'm sure they've already worked it all out, but I'm curious as to how they deal with the MVNO's associated with O2, i.e. GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile (who I use)? I suppose BT has the same problem with EE, but on rockier ground, as Virgin Media is an MVNO of EE, and they're in direct competition in other areas with BT. It will certainly be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was with Three for around six months, and their 3G network is impressive (and 4G where it's available, even more so). I only came back to O2 because of the number of dropped calls that I was experiencing, so hopefully if the takeover does go ahead, we'll get the best of both worlds 😉
Message 10 of 25