cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought about 'the cloud'

Anonymous
Not applicable

The phrase (which I find really irritating by the way) came from the fact the internet is depicted as a cloud on network topology diagrams because the exact route of traffic is not known after it is sent over an internet connection but it is still client and server architecture.

Anyway here's a thought, if a cloud service goes offline, can it be considered a blue sky event?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

A good bit of blue-sky thinking there, @Anonymous.

Many things are, alas, a little foggy when it comes to such topics as cloud computing, storage or anything else that nebulous.

It's still being stored or executed on somebody else's servers in a data cantre somewhere on the planet...

Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I reckon the term cloud is easy for people to imagine as to where all photos and dcuments are as opposed to where they are actually being held.

If the cloud does go down mankind will cease to be!

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
🎵 I've looked at the cloud from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know the cloud at all 🎵
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not just that non-cloud computing or telecommunications is more definitively routed or switched client/server, it's that the architecture orf the connection(s) is well known and leveraged..

Whether its ethernet, cellular, dsl, copper or fibre optic or whatever. Broadly that's why phonecalls made over public telephony networks are routed and switched using defined and known stable connections, so are more reliable and charged accordingly. Voice over IP ( or cloud telephony) is a lot less reliable and a lot cheaper.

Message 5 of 5