Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is a very strange story

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Never heard of this before. Some of it makes no sense.

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-allergic-to-wifi-commits-suicide-parents-say-223912154.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Weird but very sad if it's true.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's doubtful that the school could have done anything other than removing wifi and banning mobile phones.  There would have to be extensive studies into this. All very sad though if we are getting the full facts here.

Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Yes, obviously very sad, but what I don't understand is that the article says that it's "a condition in which electromagnetic radiation emitted from wireless technology, including Wi-Fi, cellphones, and cell towers, causes debilitating physical symptoms." If that's true, why was the child using a phone to text a friend twice on the day she died? Why was she using a mobile if she knew it was harming her, and why were her parents letting her have a phone? I don't see how the mother can say that it was only the school that was failing to protect her.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The whole thing Is odd,
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just minimal facts and I have doubts as to the reason given for suicide to be honest. I'm sure we would have heard of many more instances of this happening if it affected a number of people. The media love to sensationalie and frighten people.

Message 6 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Sounds more like a parent struggling to find answers in an impossible situation.
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My thoughts too and thank god I've never been in this situation personally. Every parents nightmare and I would imagine finding something or someone to blame may help.

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I would imagine this poor lass had other reasons for her blinding headaches, mood swings and depression. It is tragic that she died but grief causes people to look for someone or something to blame. I am sure this is the case with these poor relatives

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Yes, obviously very sad, but what I don't understand is that the article says that it's "a condition in which electromagnetic radiation emitted from wireless technology, including Wi-Fi, cellphones, and cell towers, causes debilitating physical symptoms." If that's true, why was the child using a phone to text a friend twice on the day she died? Why was she using a mobile if she knew it was harming her, and why were her parents letting her have a phone? I don't see how the mother can say that it was only the school that was failing to protect her.

Sad outcome but there is a strange attitude towards certain types of radiation yet people seem to think that holding a high powered radio transmitter centimetres from your brain is ok (google heating effect on mobiles for some background reading).

Strangely amusing story: many years ago I was involved in the setup of a computer production line. Someone raised a question over the amount of radiation that would be coming from this line (for reference in the days of CRT and the pc's were only on for about 10 mins at a time whilst they were working on a floor above). Apart from pointing out that radiation falls off proportional to distance and that materials will absorb it the risk is neglible, I didn't want to point out that the big CRT monitor in front of them being used all day was more disruptive to their health once they finished another cigarette whilst getting a tan.

Message 10 of 12